Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carpal tunnel surgery...

91nordic29
    has anyone here had to have it? please, fellas, dont feel the need to explain WHY you had to have the surgery . i really do need some first hand info.
    thanks and here goes nothin'.

welk2party
    I personally have not had the surgery. My mother had it done on bother her wrists about 15 years ago. She regretted doing it. She ended up with more pain than she started. Having said that, I am sure the procedures have dramatically improved since then.

91nordic29
    my dad had onwe wrist done 10 yrs ago and wouldnt go back for the other. doc says they have come a long way with it though.

LASERRAY
    How long has the surgery for this ailment been available? I don't seem to remember carpal tunnel syndrome being a popular diagnosis until the 90's.

Havasu Cig
    That's good to hear RioDog. I have it bad in both wrist and have avoided surgery because of the horror stories. I can barley ride my Harley because my hands go numb every five minutes.
    I might have to research this some more.

HotRod Sprint
    I would seriously go see a Chiropractor before even considering this surgery. There are several that I have talked to about this, and most have said they can effectively manipulate the arms and hands to make this condition go away.
    Rod
    91, the company I work for has close to 200 customers that are Chiro's, if you want I can talk to some and give you some referrals.
    Rod

My father had both done last year 3 months apart, says he's sorry he put up with if for so long. Absolutely no regrets.

moneypit
    I would have to say that the majority of the patients that come to see me that have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel sydrome have been incorrectly diagnosed. Chronic tendonitis and Lunate subluxation (carpal bone) are the usual causes. There are many options prior to the surgery. I will also say that many of my patients that have had the surgery regret it and it ususally comes back. However there have been many who have done well with the surgery.
    My advice is eliminate what causes it or minimize it. Its prodominately from overuse.. Typing, cashiers, etc....Many doctors give medication along with wrist splint that only make it worse. (the splint that is)
    Once a person has exhauseted all types of therapies and has undergone nerve conduction velocity tests, I recommend the surgery and I would have it done by a neurosurgeon and not an orthopedic surgeon. Again after the surery the patient needs to minimize what caused it in the first place.

rivercrazy
    I also have potential symptoms of CTS. Any repeated manual labor type jobs makes my hands go numb and if I keep going, my hands are sore for days. Riding my motorcycle also makes my hands go numb within 15-20 minutes.
    Does this sound like CTS? Beyond not doing physical labor that causes these symptoms to occur (not a feasible scenario), is there anything that can be done short of surgery?

moneypit
    Yes, I use a softy tissue technique called "active release". Its a relatively knew technique that dissolvest the adhesions that may have formed. It also help reduce the swelling around the tendons, neres and ligaments that usually cause the problem. Believe it or not when I have patients use Ice or submerge their hands and wrist in ice water for 10 minutes or so on a daily basis (2-3 times a day) this helps reduce the inflammation. Its also good to learn how to properly tape or wrap your wrists to reduce the load.. Wrist splints only make it worse and usually get in the way (just my thoughts)
    Its hard to find a practitioner who does Active Release because its so knew. Also many people will be sent to physical therapy for this problem. Usually they only go in 2-3 times a week. This problem needs to be treated daily, even at home on the weekends. I have a sports rehabilitation center. I treat many professional athletes. These athletes get treatment daily like they would in the training room. Health care doesnt allow for it. Patients need to take an active role in their therapy or it will never get better.
    If I can help let me know..
    sportsdc@pacbell.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast