Thread: Rebuild or New?

summerlove
    I currently have a 89 7.4, 330 hp. I'm thinking of pulling that motor and replacing it with a new 496HO or HP500, but I have no idea about cost. Am I better off building my motor, or doing the switch. I know there are motors out there that are avaiable (Teague, Rex, etc) that I can buy, but I'm just not sure which way to go. HEELLPP??

SPECTRABRENT
    Rick,
    I would go with the biggest motor that my wallett would allow. My dad had a 24 Ft Campbell with a 509 Chevy and it ran in the low 60's. The REX Marine 540 Merlin would be a great choice.
    SpectraBrent

summerlove
    SB:
    Thanks, but, Rex doesn't sell them anymore....Next?

rivercrazy
    I wouldn't buy a HP500 or 496mag HO unless you really think the warranty is an issue. It will cost way more than a motor from a reputable builder. Again, the warranty is the big difference.
    Your 454 will need a lot of upgrades to create reliable horsepower. You'd need a forged steel crank, forged pistons, better rods, better flowing heads (those oval ports are lousy), etc, etc, etc.
    Spectra's right, go as big as you can. "There's no replacement for cubic inch displacement". Going with a 540 would be a good way to get alot of reliable HP and Torque.

Havasu Hangin'
    Don't go Merc, unless you have too much money laying around, and don't know how to get rid of it. In that case, e-mail me, and I'll help you out.
    If it were me (and believe me, you don't want to be me), I would buy a 502 (or 540) long block, and have someone like Blosdale (or Teague) put it together. Make sure it gets line bored, decked, and balanced.
    That way, you could reuse the Merc Marine stuff (seawater pump, alt, etc.) and have a beefy 500+HP motor for 1/2 the price.
    Or...just bolt a B&M blower on that 454, and you have a 525SC!
    http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/foru...es/happy25.gif

rivercrazy
    By the way, what kind of outdrive do you have?

summerlove
    I talked to teague - they have a 502 for $5K that was pulled for bigger HP. I don't need 640 hp, I'd just like to do 60 or so - keep up with my buddies. I'm sick of getting my ass kicked by a Chapparel http://free.***boat.net/ubb/mad.gif
    Anyway, I'm considering that as a first step for the coming season, then making any mods a year from now.
    I run a bravo I, with through "Prop" exhaust. So, I'm kinda in a quandry, but I've got time, and maybe the 502 is the way to go....???

rivercrazy
    Its good you have the Bravo. I'd convert it to through transom exhaust. Its expensive but worth the gains with a 502.