Thread: pump removal question

460rogers
    Trying to remove pump from intake.
    it is a dominator pump and is leaking where pump mounts to intake.I have removed all visable bolts,but it won't lift out.
    Is there a hidden bolt???or is it just stuck.I don't want to break flange but would like to fix leak.

Double check that there isnt any bolts left. There are 2 in the back that are a little hard to see, they can be easily over looked.
    What type of motor mounts do you have? If you have that one stlye where the engine rests on the bearing cap, then you'll have to lift the motor a small amount to be able to get the pump out..
    If all else fails, get a screwdriver in between the pump flange and intake and gently tap it in to break the seal, be careful though, you can easily break off the corner of the intake, that would not be fun.Dont rush it or youll start breaking stuff, take your time and it will eventually come out.

460rogers
    No motor in boat yet.I found four bolts along back flange are there more hidden ??
    I put a floor jack under it and lifted boat with pump thats why i was wondering about hidden bolts maybey in intake ???

Double check to make sure you have removed ALL bolts across the front, down both sides and across the rear(these might be the hardest to see).
    With all bolts out, the pump should come free of the intake housing. If it has been together for a long time, the gasket is likely holding it together. You can use a block of wood and a jack beneath the bowl to apply some upward pressure. Should be all you need.
    DO NOT use a prybar between suction housing and intake!!!!!
    My old Berkeley in my Tahiti had never been removed in it's nearly 30 year life. That gasket just wasn't going to let go without a fight.
    And TRIPLE check to make sure all bolts are out!!!

460rogers
    I removed 14 bolts how many on a DOM???

skipr
    After double checking for bolts I put a floor jack under the bowl with a block of wood between them, put a small amount of pressure on it walked away, had 2 or so beers went back and just like magic it wae seperated.

Theres only 14 last I checked. Sounds like someone used some gnarly silicone on that thing. It will come off, that floor jack deal sounds like a bit much. Just keep working at it, it will come off.

Originally posted by cs19
    that floor jack deal sounds like a bit much
    Chris, that is the advice given to me by several pump builders, including yours and mine. Not much lift is needed. Just enough to let the weight of the hull and engine do the work. Mine sat for about 5 minutes before it let go.

460rogers
    thanks
    With a little help from a torpedo heater and the jack it came loose.
    found leak and looks like i'll need new packing ,some strings hanging out.

Copy that old squirt, im sure it works great. I have never been a fan of forcing things, but i guess if its just silicone holding it togethor it wont hurt anything.
    Glad you got it out, good luck on the repairs.