Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High oil temps in jet boats..What's up??

cyclone
    I'm pretty brutal on my engine. I run it hard and haven't had any oil temp issues with it. The longest i've kept the pedal to the floor was for about 2 minutes long during a run from Topoc Gorge to the Avi hotel. My oil temp (according to an autometer electric gauge) never went over 220 degrees during that run. I keep the water pressure to the engine regulated at 30 psi and the engine idles with 140-150 degrees of water temp and cruises with 120-130 degrees of water temp. I was running 20W50 Valvoline racing oil in it last year. The engine is a BBC with a 11qt Moroso oil pan, windage tray and trap doors. It takes about two minutes for the oil to get up to operating temp at start up and the pressure to drop down to an acceptable level.
    Now my 455 was a different story. With the same type of Moroso pan, same oil and essentially the same water temps, this motor would run up to 300 degrees oil temp if i ran the engine over 4,000 rpm for more than a few minutes. The folks i boat with have fast boats so i was always on the floor trying to keep up with them on longer river trips. I'd routinely stop and shut the engine down for a few minutes at a time to let the oil temps drop and the pressure increase before boating again. The oil system did have restrictors in it. I'm unsure if this is strictly related to the engine being a 455 olds or what, but my BBC doesn't have the same oil temp problem.

fourspeednup
    The longest i've kept the pedal to the floor was for about 2 minutes long during a run from Topoc Gorge to the Avi hotel.
    Holy Shit! That's friggin haulin!

Chris J
    Anytime you stall out a BBC on high rpm you're putting one serious load on it. An oil cooler is cheap insurance to protect your motor. I can't imagine spending big money on a motor then risk burning it up becuase you don't want to spend the money on an oil cooler.
    Might as well run with sizzors while your at it.
    Oh ya, I have a 5500 stall in my Vega and running a motor at 5500rpm with minimal load is not even close to running 5000rpm with a full load. Motor oil temp has never been an issue on my Vega even with no oil cooler, tranny temp now that another story. My point I guess is that its not the rpm its the load the pump puts on the motor that cause the high temps. Even if you have a stock motor that never goes above 4500rpm. If you run WFO for extented periods you're building some serious heat in the oil

Taylorman
    What kind of oil coolers are you all running?

cyclone
    Originally posted by fourspeednup
    Holy Shit! That's friggin haulin!
    you should have seen the other guys. Tom Bandy and Randy were right there running 3 wide as we headed back to the CBBB gathering. Ill bet we made quite a bit of noise as we flew through needles.

DiverDown
    Hey Cyclone, I am new to the boards and as I stated I am a small town small shop custom engine builder,(among other things) that is being talked into getting started in marine engine building so I have just been lurking around and reading different things on these boards about boaters and what their experiences are and what not. In my reading I came across a couple of different threads where some of the members had expressed to you that the Weind blower you went with was some how inadaquate and a non desireable piece. I just wanted to let you know that although I admittedly have very little marine experience, I do have a lot of experience building engines for extreme environments and we have used several of the newer Weind blowers with nothing but success and I think you will be happy with your decision for what it's worth.

Chris J
    What kind of oil coolers are you all running?
    I have a Dan Olson that bolt to the block in place of the oil filter. Then the remote oil filter adaptor bolts to the cooler. Fits nice and tight to the motor. Easily fits inside 26" wide stringers. Water runs from the pump to the cooler then off to the motor.

cyclone
    Originally posted by DiverDown
    Hey Cyclone, I am new to the boards and as I stated I am a small town small shop custom engine builder,(among other things) that is being talked into getting started in marine engine building so I have just been lurking around and reading different things on these boards about boaters and what their experiences are and what not. In my reading I came across a couple of different threads where some of the members had expressed to you that the Weind blower you went with was some how inadaquate and a non desireable piece. I just wanted to let you know that although I admittedly have very little marine experience, I do have a lot of experience building engines for extreme environments and we have used several of the newer Weind blowers with nothing but success and I think you will be happy with your decision for what it's worth.
    well that is good news. i wasn't worried about the blower but hearing that helps alot. thanks!

Bense468
    That was me that said that, and I was asking? I did a little research myself and it looks as if the problem was with the old style blowers. Superdave then came back and said the same I thing. So thats good news as I am looking into one myself.

cookieman
    I have a blown 509 and my oil temp will increase to over 260 when I get into the 5000 rpm range. I use Mobil one and have a 10qt oil pan. My water temp will run about 160 and soon as I get off the gas it will cool back down at the 3000 rpm range. I know that most of my heat in the oil comes from the blower building the boost. I run about 5-7 lbs of boost at the higher rpms. I know that with regular oil like the Vavloline racing oil my temp was a little higher, but with the Mobil 1 it seemed to run a little cooler. Just a little input on what happens on my jetboat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast