Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump rebuild costs

MANIC MECHANIC
    I am considering purchasing a boat that the owner says the pump is trashed and needs an impeller.
    Being new to jets, I would like to get an idea of what it could cost me to rebuild the pump.
    In a worst case scenario, how much could it cost in parts to rebuild?
    Thanks,
    Tim

HBjet
    Originally posted by MANIC MECHANIC
    I am considering purchasing a boat that the owner says the pump is trashed and needs an impeller.
    Being new to jets, I would like to get an idea of what it could cost me to rebuild the pump.
    In a worst case scenario, how much could it cost in parts to rebuild?
    Thanks,
    Tim
    You can get the prices of rebuild kits, but without knowing the condition of the pump, it would be hard to give you an idea. Depending on what was needed, and what you wanted, prices can range from 400-2500. Again, depending on what you wanted to do.
    This guy says it needs an impeller, what I would do is when you look at the boat again, get under it and look into the jets intake. If you can, take a few digital photos. If you can, have the owner disconnect the driveline from the pump to the motor, so you can spin the pump freely. It should turn, but not super easy, it should take a little muscle to turn it. If the owner lives close to a pump builder, have him drag the boat down there to have that builder take a look at it.
    HBjet

MANIC MECHANIC
    Thanks for the replies.
    Actually I guess I need to clarify my question.
    This boat is so far away I can't go look at it.
    If I buy it I will have it picked up by tractor trailer and delivered to my area.
    I have a couple of guys on the boards in the area (that the boat is in,)who are going to look the hull over for me, and send me pics as well as their opinion.
    the pump is out of the boat and torn down in boxes.
    I'm sure with a little guidance I can build the pump myself.
    I can do almost any machine work that may be needed.
    I can make the seal drivers etc. on a lathe in a few minutes,
    and have any tools (big, deep sockets etc.) that could possibly be needed.
    I've worked in the hydraulic industry for 27 years.
    My question is,
    In a worst case scenario, how much could parts possibly cost?
    Thanks again,
    Tim

miketsouth
    If i can do it, you can do it, Tim. When i got my boat the pump was trashed. Wore out the bowl bearing(bushings) and shaft that rides in the bushing.
    I put a sleeve on the shaft and bored the bowl, installed a brass insert and off to the races.
    Couple of years ago i had a coupling bust (installer error) and bent the shaft. New shaft was $275 or so.
    The pumps are a piece of cake to put together. Common sense, no tricks. Plenty of documentation on the web.
    You gonna get that PF?
    mikeT

MANIC MECHANIC
    Originally posted by miketsouth
    You gonna get that PF?
    mikeT
    Mike, I'm still trying!
    Tim

sidewound
    Hey Tim!
    Under a fin probably. I built my own tools.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...at_019-med.jpg
    I know your capabilities so I think you'll have no problem. I was skeered to get into mine, but when I did it was easier than I thought. If the impeller is just worn you can have it rebuilt. If it's toast I can steer you to where to get a rebuilt pretty reasonably.
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

sleekcraft76
    tim you will have no problam !! pumps are a piece of cake.

ChetCapoli
    Originally posted by sidewound
    If the impeller is just worn you can have it rebuilt. If it's toast I can steer you to where to get a rebuilt pretty reasonably.
    CESAR
    For what an impeller costs new cesar why would you bother having one rebuilt especially if its shot????
    I would just get a complete kit and do it yourself for what it costs($200-$400). Worst case if you shaft is bent or worn...add another $250 or so for a shaft.
    CHET

Chris J
    What type of pump? If its a 12JC, worst case you can always find a suitable replacement one for around $300. Seems like thats the going rate for a "Good" pump on E-Bay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast