Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: PowerBoat Magazine Shootout

Rock-it man
    Thanks for all the help guys I will do my best to make ya proud !!!!!! MY own guess 147.6 mph unless theres room to air it out a little then I really believe 150 mph is possible .

RACER52
    RIM-that was my guess on the other thread. you better show a pic of the gps, cause i said 147.

flat broke
    Originally posted by BADBLOWN572
    The last time that I was up there for the Powerboat test, they did the speed runs between Blue Water and Badnocks heading down river towards the 5mph zone. Come around the corner at Badnocks around 80mph then stand on it! There is enough room there to get the boats up to top speed there and then they have the 5mph zone for slow down. Was impressive. Just be aware, the last time they did the test in Parker, the title of the article was "Last Man Standing." They broke every boat but one. Powerboat has a tendancy to be a little too hard on boats for performance testing.
    That is exactly what I was thinking. And let it be known, that if they blow up YOUR boat, its still YOUR boat and YOU'LL be paying to repair the carnage. I don't have the kind of $$ you have in your ride Rockitman, and there is no way I would give someone else (Bob Teague or not) the green light to flog my ride.
    As for why the hold it in Parker... Probably because it is a smaller area which is easier to isolate for safety reasons, and maybe because its close to Teagues river pad?
    Chris

Rock-it man
    Originally posted by RACER52
    RIM-that was my guess on the other thread. you better show a pic of the gps, cause i said 147.
    I thought you were talking about the Rason Raft !!!! hehehe !!!
    Got the two innercoolers today,using the same innercooler set up as Bacardi Silver ,sure makes it tall though !!! will do a mockup tonoght to see how much choping I have to do on the Eng lid !!!!
    Will post a pic soon as its in the boat probably next week .

BADBLOWN572
    Last time I was at the tests, I witnessed a notable engine builder, who is thought highly of on these boards, talk to a guy about the motor in the guy's boat. The builder was taking jabs at the guy for using a different engine builder. The builder also happened to be one of the drivers for the magazine. The guy started getting pissed and said that he was happy with the product that he had. Well, the boat went out and when it came back it was at the end of a tow rope. When the builder got out of the boat, he handed the guy a card and said "if you want a motor that will stay together give me a call."
    When I was talking to other people at the site, one of the guys said that the passenger of the boat said that the engine builder "trimmed the thing to the moon." They said that he had the trim so high it was cavitating and when they hit a wake, it went out of the water and he didn't get out of it so it went over redline and a pop was followed shortly. Personally, I think that it is very f#$%ed up! Blow a $40-50k engine either deliberately or because you didn't have any concern for another's property. I guess these horror stories is why I have never agreed to have mine tested by any magazine. The magazines that mine have been, I was driving. I know what it can and can not do.

hboldno7
    hey BadBlown, didnt you blow your drive on your own before your Photo shoot ?

Rock-it man
    Originally posted by BADBLOWN572
    Last time I was at the tests, I witnessed a notable engine builder, who is thought highly of on these boards, talk to a guy about the motor in the guy's boat. The builder was taking jabs at the guy for using a different engine builder. The builder also happened to be one of the drivers for the magazine. The guy started getting pissed and said that he was happy with the product that he had. Well, the boat went out and when it came back it was at the end of a tow rope. When the builder got out of the boat, he handed the guy a card and said "if you want a motor that will stay together give me a call."
    When I was talking to other people at the site, one of the guys said that the passenger of the boat said that the engine builder "trimmed the thing to the moon." They said that he had the trim so high it was cavitating and when they hit a wake, it went out of the water and he didn't get out of it so it went over redline and a pop was followed shortly. Personally, I think that it is very f#$%ed up! Blow a $40-50k engine either deliberately or because you didn't have any concern for another's property. I guess these horror stories is why I have never agreed to have mine tested by any magazine. The magazines that mine have been, I was driving. I know what it can and can not do.
    I sure theres more to the story !! I talked to Bob Teague who will be driving my boat for a long time and I feel OK ! with it.
    I know im on the edge but I feel ive done the best I can do on the motor ,factory parts can and do fail and ive taken every precaution I can, Tha 4x4 drive is in my opnion my week link .it held up to the speed before so im hoping !!!!!! it will again.
    Gotta cut the Eng hatch tonight as it wont fit with the extra innercoller installed ,Cant get on a dyno in time for the run so will test at Havasu before the run at Parker ,Should be over 1500hp using VP C16 fuel and that should get me over 145mph Will know soon for sure !!!!

BADBLOWN572
    Originally posted by hboldno7
    hey BadBlown, didnt you blow your drive on your own before your Photo shoot ?
    You know I have blown up several. When a motor makes 1k ftlbs of torque, you will do that. The difference is that when mine went away, it was because of normal wear and tear and not abuse. The worst part of the tests are the acceleration runs. from a stop on up. Basically, take the throttle from a stop and throw it all the way forward. If it is not perfectly done with a bullet proof drive, it is gone. By now, you should know that the last thing that I do is hammer/abuse my drive.

RACER52
    rocket your boat will be fine. If not just buy another when their done.

i let ***boat test my boat twice would never do it again.was kinda trying to help out my boat maker.they drive the shit out of them period.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast