Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody let your kids drive your boat?

STGP
    My 8 year old drives sitting on my lap. She does great and isn't scared of the throttle. I only let her drive in open water with no traffic. It's good to start them young, it builds self confidence.

spectras only
    My son was a year old when first sitting on my lap hanging on.He [now 14 1/2 yrs old] just finished a boating course last week to get a licence to drive on his own , up to 40HP [ 12' zodiac]. He drives my boat only when I'm there with him .

AquaBoogie
    I let my 3 year old son sit on my lap and steer our first day out on the boat. He had a blast. I couldn't keep him out of the drivers seat after that. As you can tell in the picture below.

Sandbar Mike
    There's nothing better than seeing your kids enjoy the river as much you do. They definitly make it awsome.
    Mirvin, I remember my Dad doing the same thing with me in his old eliminator jet, Man those were good times.
    My son just floors me sometimes with things he does, especially being able to steer our boat for so long, we were getting a hug kick out of it. If he'd get off course little I'd just point tward were we needed to be and he'd get us there.
    It don't know whats better raising river rats or being one.
    Have a good weekend guys

eliminatedsprinter
    My dad first tossed me the keys to the boat and said "Be back in half an hour" when I was 10. He had spent several years letting me drive with him (starting on his lap just like in the above pic) and teaching me about all the buoys, flags, signals, right of way etc, prior to that. And I'll never forget how cool it felt to be 10 years old and on the lake in a small runabout going at full throttle for half an hour by myself....
    My son is 10 and my boat is faster than that one was, plus the laws have changed, so my son will not get that expieriance. However he has driven our boat at around 55 mph with me riding shotgun. Maybe next season I'll let him run a little at WOT.

Mohavekid
    Ya gotta start em early.
    My son started when he was just 3 or so. He's 9 now and drives quite well. He even pulls me skiing, because my wife can't seem to get the hang of getting me up. My wife is always in the pasenger seat making sure he does'nt get in trouble.
    My two daughters don't seem to be as interested in driving, but occasionally they will try.
    I learned the same way with my dad way back when.

al cole'holic
    Originally posted by Infomaniac
    Here is a short video of Info Jr driving the Cougar. I recorded it on the memory stick by mistake and it shut off just before we got going good.
    Hard to film when the smallest push of the throttle makes the whole boat leap and the driver cannot hardly reach the pedal.
    He finds it necessary to let off the throttle to turn the wheel LOL
    10 year old pilot - blown injected v-drive (http://marineassault.net/Dillon.MPG)
    You gotta love that when dad yells out "GO"....

mike37
    my son drives and can load the boat on and off the trailer
    he was 14 wen we starterd having hin load the boat
    my younger boy is 10 and can drive the boat but i dont let him do it by himself

plumb crazy
    my sons 12 he drives the boat pretty good this year i am going to teach him how to load it on the trailer. what do you think is that a good ideal.

mike37
    Originally posted by plumb crazy
    my sons 12 he drives the boat pretty good this year i am going to teach him how to load it on the trailer. what do you think is that a good ideal.
    start now in the off season and by summer he will be have no problems O ya keep your mouth shutt and let him do it
    but dont let him do it tell your completly confedind he can

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast