Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Positioning

AJ
    I am getting ready to re-rig our 76 Hondo T-deck and I heard there is a certain distance from the transom to the motor plate
    (front or back?) not sure which. The engine will be a 454 BBC approx. 550hp. Any info or weblinks would be great. Thx

Fiat48
    Generaly about 34 inches measured from the inside of the transom to the front of the front motor plate. Depends on rocker in the boat, but I have seen far back as 32 and far forward as 36.
    I had a 76 511T and best I remember it was 34.
    Maybe someone here has one they can measure and be sure before you drill holes.
    Also is V drive 95 1/2 or 96 from transom?

AJ I'm gonna move this thread to Vdrives because it's better suited there and you'll get more response.

AJ
    Thx

SANGER-RICH
    Originally posted by Fiat48
    Generaly about 34 inches measured from the inside of the transom to the front of the front motor plate. Depends on rocker in the boat, but I have seen far back as 32 and far forward as 36.
    I had a 76 511T and best I remember it was 34.
    Maybe someone here has one they can measure and be sure before you drill holes.
    Also is V drive 95 1/2 or 96 from transom?
    What would work for a hydro. My casale is further back to the engine than most I have seen. My drive line is only 10". The one in my avatar is the one Im talking about. had a mopar . Now that Im putting a BB Chevy in it Im having problems with the drive line and motor placement where the prop shaft goes through the hull. Not enough room. HELP HELP Also I need to come up with a driveline guard that will fit????HELP

BGMAN203
    Mine is 36.5 from transom, and my v-drive is 96.5 from transom. I have been told by many that this is where it needs to be, so I have put it there. My boat still doesn't handle the way it should, but I have also been told that motor and v-drive placement are not my problems.

Fiat48
    Originally posted by SANGER-RICH
    What would work for a hydro. My casale is further back to the engine than most I have seen. My drive line is only 10". The one in my avatar is the one Im talking about. had a mopar . Now that Im putting a BB Chevy in it Im having problems with the drive line and motor placement where the prop shaft goes through the hull. Not enough room. HELP HELP Also I need to come up with a driveline guard that will fit????HELP
    Sorry, I have no set up experience with hydros. But I have 3 Sangers here in town, all about 1976 or 1977 that all work good. 2 of them are blown alcohol and the 3rd one I am changing to alcohol shortly. I can measure placements on them to get you a general idea, but cannot say for certain that would be correct for your boat. Let me know.

Fiat48
    Originally posted by AJ
    Thx
    AJ, measure where the v drive is mounted and also measure strut barrell to end of cavitation plate.

SANGER-RICH
    Sorry, I have no set up experience with hydros. But I have 3 Sangers here in town, all about 1976 or 1977 that all work good. 2 of them are blown alcohol and the 3rd one I am changing to alcohol shortly. I can measure placements on them to get you a general idea, but cannot say for certain that would be correct for your boat. Let me know.
    Please do that would be a great help. Thanks Richard

AJ
    AJ, measure where the v drive is mounted and also measure strut barrell to end of cavitation plate.
    Fiat48
    The measurements from the back of strut barrell to the end
    of cavitation plate is 24"
    and the v-drive is @ 96"
    THX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast