Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey Jer

Blown 472
    Originally posted by corlish
    Ok,
    I am going to jump in here half cocked and without knowing the differences between Jer's new and old engine. It sounds like Blown's question is implying that he has the same displacement just a different bore/stroke combination?
    If that is the case, it is certainly a valid question. Take two engines of the SAME displacement and all else being equal and the shorter stroke engine will make more power. This can be shown mathematically for the naysayers.
    Let the flames begin.
    Corey
    Close, Jer is a torque hater, so he built a longer stroke motor to get him more "power" without torque from the longer stroke, so I asked him why he didn't leave the 4" stroke because he doesn't need torque and just built a bigger bore motor.
    Seems to work for Hicks. He ran 135 mph with a 4" stroke motor.

cheech
    the shorter stroke motor will make more hp at a higher rpm. take 2 motors of same cubes and run them at THE SAME RPM and then see what your difference is. if you use 5000 rpm as a test the longer stroke will win if you use 7000 the short stroke will win.

Jet City
    Originally posted by Blown 472
    Nope, unlike you I read alot of info. You should talk to Jack about this he is the one that turned me on to this theory.
    Nice attitude

Maybe he didnt want to take his new high dollar block out to .100 over quite yet.

Blown 472
    Originally posted by cs19
    Maybe he didnt want to take his new high dollar block out to .100 over quite yet.

DiverDown
    cheech originally posted...
    the shorter stroke motor will make more hp at a higher rpm. take 2 motors of same cubes and run them at THE SAME RPM and then see what your difference is. if you use 5000 rpm as a test the longer stroke will win if you use 7000 the short stroke will win.
    It just isn't that simple, as always there are variables, and it is the sum of those varibles that determine where an engine will makes it's power.
    Having said that though, in my experience watching dynos, the long stroke motors usually make torque quicker, and the shorter stroke motors usually make more overall torque.
    PS. I am new to the boards and it is certainly not my intent to tick anybody off...just want to share and learn with everyone else.

MAD-MarKist
    Diverdown,
    YOU
    just don't know what you stepped into! Good luck!
    yeah, Good luck Dude!

cheech
    i was refering to both motors identical except for bore and stroke. your right about the torque. but doesn't it move the powerband up into higher rpms with the shorter stroke. then you will also gain from being able to run a longer rod also.

cheech
    i am here to learn also, if i find out a better way or even the right way it is worth it. thankx for the input.

DiverDown
    I will probably always give my input on this type of thing because I believe in real world application, (we don't race dynos), and I think there is a lot to be learned from a lot of different people with different ideas some of which are maybe not so good and some we can probably all learn from. I have built lots of engines, but I am just now getting into the performance boat stuff, and that is why I thought I would cruise around the boards and see what kind of experiences people are having and have had with their boats and motors as well as what some common problems are with the boat deals so that I can include this information in my thought process on future endeavors with the boat deals.
    cheech posted
    i am here to learn also, if i find out a better way or even the right way it is worth it. thankx for the input. No problem dude.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast