Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hey Jer

Blown 472
    Originally posted by riodog
    Diverdown,
    YOU
    just don't know what you stepped into! Good luck!
    Rio-i ain'y sayin a word-Dog
    Dude, dont be scarin tha newbie.

Blown 472
    Originally posted by DiverDown
    I will probably always give my input on this type of thing because I believe in real world application, (we don't race dynos), and I think there is a lot to be learned from a lot of different people with different ideas some of which are maybe not so good and some we can probably all learn from. I have built lots of engines, but I am just now getting into the performance boat stuff, and that is why I thought I would cruise around the boards and see what kind of experiences people are having and have had with their boats and motors as well as what some common problems are with the boat deals so that I can include this information in my thought process on future endeavors with the boat deals.
    No problem dude.
    rot row, you have come to the wrong place, we bench race dynos here.

LVjetboy
    Hey Blown,
    Jet performance depends on power to the impeller, not torque. That doesn't mean I hate torque, just it's the wrong thing to focus on. Torque's a non-emotional number like all others. A focus carried over from the car community and what I believe is a misunderstanding of the physics.
    Why I chose a stroker? Strangely enough, it had nothing to do with torque...
    Originally, my plan was for Dave to rebuild my 454 block. Add a 100, no maybe 200, wait how about 300 hp? No blower, no turbos, no high octane. Dave said no problem. We always talked power, never torque. I'm not implying my opinions are or are not Dave or Jack's views on Q vs hp. We never talked much about that. Just that was my focus...something I concluded after lots of thought on the subject. Anyway, sonic check shows 30 over comfortable, and a stroke crank gets me extra power at the rpm I estimated my B would turn. That based on JPC pump curves. Heads and cam the rest. Yes, I got graphs too if you like.
    Then I got greedy. Halfway thru the build I decided to go with the Dart block instead of the 454. Like changing horses. At that point we already had the stroker crank. At the time I didn't consider going back to a 4" and boring out a new block to equivalent cubes, but since you mention it, not sure I would either. If I had I doubt the power gain at 6200 compared to the stroker would've been worth the over-bore and switching cranks again.
    Either way, one fact still remains, it's all about how much power you deliver to the impeller, not how much torque.
    Hp rules!
    If the decisions you make during engine buildup reduce power to your impeller at full throttle, they hurt performance. I may not've picked the perfect power combo, and some of my (lake boat friendly) decisions like hydraulic rollers and 87 octane certainly cut my peak power. But my good or bad decisions don't change the underlying principle...if you care about jet boat performance, focus on power not torque. And in the end I achieved my goal.
    Cyclone, I have no problem being called out by anyone, even Blown. In fact, I enjoy it.
    jer

Jordy
    Holy shit Batman. Not one graph or chart to back his claims up. This has to be a new ***boat record...

LVjetboy
    Don't push your luck. I save that stuff for those who "call me out"

jer

Blown 472
    Originally posted by LVjetboy
    Hey Blown,
    Jet performance depends on power to the impeller, not torque. That doesn't mean I hate torque, just it's the wrong thing to focus on. Torque's a non-emotional number like all others. A focus carried over from the car community and what I believe is a misunderstanding of the physics.
    Why I chose a stroker? Strangely enough, it had nothing to do with torque...
    Originally, my plan was for Dave to rebuild my 454 block. Add a 100, no maybe 200, wait how about 300 hp? No blower, no turbos, no high octane. Dave said no problem. We always talked power, never torque. I'm not implying my opinions are or are not Dave or Jack's views on Q vs hp. We never talked much about that. Just that was my focus...something I concluded after lots of thought on the subject. Anyway, sonic check shows 30 over comfortable, and a stroke crank gets me extra power at the rpm I estimated my B would turn. That based on JPC pump curves. Heads and cam the rest. Yes, I got graphs too if you like.
    Then I got greedy. Halfway thru the build I decided to go with the Dart block instead of the 454. Like changing horses. At that point we already had the stroker crank. At the time I didn't consider going back to a 4" and boring out a new block to equivalent cubes, but since you mention it, not sure I would either. If I had I doubt the power gain at 6200 compared to the stroker would've been worth the over-bore and switching cranks again.
    Either way, one fact still remains, it's all about how much power you deliver to the impeller, not how much torque.
    Hp rules!
    If the decisions you make during engine buildup reduce power to your impeller at full throttle, they hurt performance. I may not've picked the perfect power combo, and some of my (lake boat friendly) decisions like hydraulic rollers and 87 octane certainly cut my peak power. But my good or bad decisions don't change the underlying principle...if you care about jet boat performance, focus on power not torque. And in the end I achieved my goal.
    Cyclone, I have no problem being called out by anyone, even Blown. In fact, I enjoy it.
    jer
    Thanks Jer, I was just wondering.

LVjetboy
    Sure, no problem.
    jer

pops1
    Originally posted by Blown 472
    Close, Jer is a torque hater, so he built a longer stroke motor to get him more "power" without torque from the longer stroke, so I asked him why he didn't leave the 4" stroke because he doesn't need torque and just built a bigger bore motor.
    Seems to work for Hicks. He ran 135 mph with a 4" stroke motor. What Hick's has in that setup you could buy three of anything else. Also 4-5 years to get it there.
    Best Racing ever seen was Wilder Days (Wilder Craft) -Tom Enis with his little Rick Green FORD and the Hicks & the TUB. "The Best of Racing- TOMMY come back we miss the Little Red Boat and Rick! Pop's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123