Thread: Can it be done?

mickeyfinn
    I have an older model 18' baja bowrider. It is powered by a mercruiser 470. I would like to pull this and intall a small block ford v8. Probably a 302. I believe the inline 4 is a ford engine but don't know if it will bolt up or not. Anyone ever tried this. The boat runs about 44 mph and will pull tubers and skiers as long as the skier is not too big a guy.(this means I don't get to ski). The 470 engine is 170 hp as it sits. I would like to get to around 225 or 250. The drive is a mercruiser "R" drive or I think it is also called a #1 drive. I have heard they are good for this horsepower with no problems. HELP!!. I believe if this works I will get a lot more torque out of the hole and pick up 10 or 15 mph.

Boozer
    mickeyfinn:
    I have an older model 18' baja bowrider. It is powered by a mercruiser 470. I would like to pull this and intall a small block ford v8. Probably a 302. I believe the inline 4 is a ford engine but don't know if it will bolt up or not. Anyone ever tried this. The boat runs about 44 mph and will pull tubers and skiers as long as the skier is not too big a guy.(this means I don't get to ski). The 470 engine is 170 hp as it sits. I would like to get to around 225 or 250. The drive is a mercruiser "R" drive or I think it is also called a #1 drive. I have heard they are good for this horsepower with no problems. HELP!!. I believe if this works I will get a lot more torque out of the hole and pick up 10 or 15 mph. Do you know if a 302 was an optional motor for that boat at the time it was new?
    I'd check with a Baja dealer and have them look up the specs if the boat was originally offered with a V8 I don't see why you couldn't do it now.

mickeyfinn
    I'm pretty sure that I can fit the engine in the compartment. I guess the question I am really asking is will the engine connect to the drive as it is. I am not sure exactly how things mate up in the back where the drive is but if there is such an animal as a "bellhousing" back there it seems that they would need to be the same.

HP350SC
    I think the 3.7 liter was basically "half" of a 460 with the same bore and stroke. Go to your local merc. dealer and see if your bellhousing and coupler match up with any other engines part number.

Bondo
    Yes, It Can be done, But, EVERYTHING in front of the Inner transom plate will have to be replaced.... Then , You'll have to regear the outdrive to get the proper ratio....

mickeyfinn
    Thanks,
    I have heard that the increased weight with the moderate increase in HP and the preset X-dimension make it likely that even after going through all of the trouble to do this that I may wind up with a boat that is slower than the current set-up. Oh well...guess I'll leave her alone and keep the family boat bone stock..

waterlogged
    man... that aint bad performance---probably gets pretty good fuel mileage too!

bilgewiper
    I could be wrong here, but I belive the only thing "automotive" on that motor is the converted Ford 460 head. The short block is a aluminum Mercruser designed and built block that dosen't interchange with much. Thats why they all came with a heat exchanger cooling system to deal with the disimular metals. Also it seems I have seen a 185 hp version also and maybe a even a higher hp version too. The above is all probably just useless and possibly wrong info......so I'll be quiet now as my memory is fading as fast as I am ageing!