Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: outdrive discolorisation

Ian
    My outdrive is turning white, I'm sure this is because I haven't installed a driveshower. My friend told me he cleans his drive with toilet bowl cleaner, have any of you heard of this. Also where can I buy a drive shower for the best price, it is an alpha 1

1stepcloser
    The white stuff is the minerals from the water being left behind as the heat from the drive "cooks" the water off. This is due to the the drive being elevated from the water during running. This excessive heat will also shorten the life of the oil, possibly leading to a failure.
    Yes, a drive shower will definately help this problem, a quality shower can be had from the Simrek company. They make full coverage showers for both the Alpha and Bravo series drives.
    You can also find cool showers at Imco marine
    Teague makes a pretty cool one also...

rivercrazy
    I think a drive shower provides cheap insurance and will extend the life of any stern drive.
    There is ample evidence in published reports that it lowers the temperature of oil in the drive. The fact that it keeps the top cap of the drive cleaner is just a nice side benefit!

1stepcloser
    RiverDave:
    I suppose they would have ya believe that a dark gelcoat needs a shower as well?
    Unless your pumping some serious pony's (which we already know your not becuase your running an alpha) and running for long distances on plane (I.E. Poker Runs) then ya don't need one. Save your dinero and get some good cleaner.
    Unless your just looking for another shiny piece on the back of your boat. (Which in fact is the only reason I'd ever buy one)Hmmph.

steve@kps
    kinda have to agree w/ RD.... the "white stuff" is mostly the alkai. It can be cleaned off w/ Zing or some sort of toilet bowl cleaner. Drive showers are meant to be a cooling device for the oil and gears in the upper drive. Since the u-joint has such a load on it, it's hard to keep it cool. In fact the upper drive actually has less oil in it than the lower unit. Most alpha's only use standard oil. You may want to replace w/ a good synthetic oil and make sure your anodic plates (3 of em') are in good shape and just do a little cleaning.
    But, a drive shower does look cool,and will keep the upper drive running at a lower temp. I run a Bravo here and guess what........IT'S F"ING TURNING WHITE. w/ a drive shower. eek!
    [ December 11, 2002, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: steve@kps ]

rivercrazy
    I run my boat over long distances (1-3 hours at a time) at decent crusing speeds. With the drive shower, the top cap is staying remarkably clean. No white buildup at all.

1stepcloser
    I'm gonna go with rivercrazy here on this one. I have benn running a Bravo for 8 years now, with Teague shower and the cap stays pretty clean. It requires minimal cleaning at the end of the season.
    As an example though, last year, I was at Havasu for the first trip, and when the weekend was over and I retrieved the boat from the water, I noticed the top of the drive was covered with residue. Turns out a spider had made a home inside the shower tube, cutting off the flow of water.
    I'm not gonna get into an argument over this, I'm just staing my opinion based on published tests, and my own experience.
    I would not run an outdrive withoout a shower. They are a (relatively) inexpensive device that has been proven to do what they say.
    One last thing...would you run your engine without an oil cooler? wink

steve@kps
    1step.
    I totally agree w/ ya on the shower being a necessary item on the bravo drive. The lakes we run around here have a high salt content and could be the problem????
    bottom line, the drive shower does what it advertises(cools the drive).

steve@kps
    quote from 1stepcloser
    "One last thing...would you run your engine without an oil cooler? "
    yeah, if the lake water would circulate around the motor......LMAO j/k wink

Desert Rat
    I use either ZAP (as seen on TV) or lime away. Both work very well but can discolor you prop if if gets on it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast