Thread: 2 Speed Questions??????????

BLOWNDEAVER
    Hello, just another dumb question, wanting to know the pros and cons to 2 speed single sprag lenco?What all will be needed to work properly?what kind of advantage will this give me? iI have a DEAVER hydro ,blown gas 496,some where around 950 to 1000 hp PLEASE HELP THANKS ALOT Thomas

cal***boat
    Originally posted by BLOWNDEAVER
    Hello, just another dumb question, wanting to know the pros and cons to 2 speed single sprag lenco?What all will be needed to work properly?what kind of advantage will this give me? iI have a DEAVER hydro ,blown gas 496,some where around 950 to 1000 hp PLEASE HELP THANKS ALOT Thomas
    First of all stay away from the single sprag units if you are running the horsepower you posted.
    The Lenco will work great until it rolls the sprag on you the first time and you over rev the engine and kick out a few rods.
    Believe me we know this from experience with the single sprag unit and it really hurts the ole pocket book when it happens.
    You can send the unit into Lenco and have it upgraded to the duel sprag setup which is well worth the money spent.
    If you are serious about gettig a 2 speed for your boat and have the money to spend I would think about getting one of Scott Owens spragless transmissions and have no worries about failure.
    Here is a link to thier website ---> Owens Racing Transmissions (http://www.scottowensracing.com/)

BLOWNDEAVER
    THANKS ALOT , THAT IS WHAT I WAS AFRAID OF THANKS ALOT

BAH468
    I have around the same horsepower in a Sanger hydro and rolled the sprag in first gear. I am now a true believer in rev limiters. I sent the trans to Lenco and it was upgraded to a dual sprag for $1600. Great service, no problems since and it shifts much firmer. After the upgrade the trans was an inch or so longer which called for a few modifications to get it to fit. If you decide on the Owens I may know where one is for sale.

Fiat48
    Originally posted by BAH468
    I have around the same horsepower in a Sanger hydro and rolled the sprag in first gear. I am now a true believer in rev limiters. I sent the trans to Lenco and it was upgraded to a dual sprag for $1600. Great service, no problems since and it shifts much firmer. After the upgrade the trans was an inch or so longer which called for a few modifications to get it to fit. If you decide on the Owens I may know where one is for sale.
    I was wondering what it would take to get you to post on the forums. You've finally come out of hiding. Let's see some pictures of that Sanger.
    I put your seat in the flatbottom yesterday. Are you ready?

BAH468
    Soon as I get the blower back on I'll take some pictures and post them. As for the second seat in your flat bottom I was kind of hoping my driving instruction would take place on dry ground!

DetroitJim
    I'm also wondering about my trans. I have a single (large) sprag CS1 with clutch that I have not run yet. It's all fresh and good inside. I run a light 501 with approx. 700 horse 540. It will go 8.22 with 32% gears but it revs way too high. If I run this deal with 54% in the box and 31% in the trans, and tune for 8 seconds, what are the chances the sprag will puke early? I'm willing to inspect it twice a year
    DJ
    TE/PE 486