Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who knows the Holman&Moody story?

DaveA
    Seein' as how I'm in NC, home of H&M, I thought I'd ask the 'experienced ones' if you-all would relate what you know about Holman & Moody's marine business.
    Stuff like when & how it got started-
    -where did they work out of, and was this operation just a warehouse, if that, or were engines assembled there?
    -how they managed to penetrate the marine markets on the West Coast- did they hire the right people, or just have the right products at the right time?
    -how long they sold engine packages, did they sell any complete drivetrains? Jets? Outdrive setups? I know they did Ford/Volvo for Donzi, for example.
    Also, did they have any exclusive deals, like with Rayson or Sanger or others?
    What engines typically were developed for marine use? Specifically, such as, what was their 'cheap' or 'entry-level' pkg for a v-drive, and, like Mercruiser, what was their HP500?
    Not that I'm a Ford freak- but I think it's an important part of the v-drive history, and since I'm on the East Coast, I don't get to talk face-to-face often with anybody that knows much about this type of thing.
    So, let's give it up. Whaddya know about this??
    DaveA

stump
    Dave why dont you check out www.holmanmoody.com all kinds of history there.

gochappy
    are they the ones that left the trail of bread crumbs so they could find their way home?

DaveA
    Originally posted by stump
    Dave why dont you check out www.holmanmoody.com all kinds of history there.
    Hey Stump!
    I looked at the site, but there was very little about boats there- and only one picture.
    What I'm wondering about is who the players were in the recreational/hot boat marketing/sales/service and what was typically assembled/sold to the SoCal market for v-drives, jets, i/o's etc.
    I guess this would be aimed at guys like Old Rigger and others that had involvement in rigging and selling these things.
    Anybody wanna share?
    DaveA

RaysonKid
    Member rrrr has a Howard with a Holman & Moody motor.
    I dont believe Sanger was ever involved with them.

I don't know much about the H/M marine operation but they did make their own line of marine mounts and exhaust manifolds for FE and 385 engines. It is possible they worked in conjuction or partnership with Stroppe of Long Beach as they did with racecars, parts and equipment.

DaveA
    Thanks 058...that's the sort of stuff I'm interested in.
    But that's the tip of the iceberg.
    Anybody got any literature they could scan of that era with any kind of advertisements or articles about the H&M involvement with v-drives?
    DaveA

VD CRUISER
    I don't know much about how they got into the marine business, but my first v-drive boat, a 1965 Stevens had a H&M 427 Medium Riser with 2 4 barrel carbs that was installed by the factory. Its kinda fuzzy now but I know it had H&M mounts on it The engine was bad ass looking in the day.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    Originally posted by DaveA
    Thanks 058...that's the sort of stuff I'm interested in.
    But that's the tip of the iceberg.
    Anybody got any literature they could scan of that era with any kind of advertisements or articles about the H&M involvement with v-drives?
    DaveA
    Dave A,
    P.M. me your address and I'll send you some literature and advertisements.
    Jerry

DaveA, If my feeble old memory serves me I vaguely remember a flat built by Stroppe/Long Beach who as you know worked with and co-sponsered with H/M various cars [and boats?] This particular flat was a Howard or Rayson with a green/white gelcoat and had a large "Powered by Ford" decal on the deck and some other graphics on it that was hardly visible as they were removed years prior and there was just shadows of the graphics oxidized into the orig. gel. This boat was owned by a friend of mine and was offered to me when he wanted to sell it. He said it had a H/M 427 Highriser/2x4bbl with Basset style painted headers when he bought the boat. Just 2 or 3 years ago I had contact with a fellow that used to frequent this board that owned this boat. He lived in South Lake Tahoe at that time. Maybe he will see this post and respond. To spark some sort of memory the boat when I saw it was owned by "FatFrank" of Richmond, Ca. in the mid to late 70s. He should know alot more about this than me because he was reserching the history of this boat. Just another small piece of a very interesting puzzle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast