Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who knows the Holman&Moody story?

garrett
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...35T001-001.jpg
    You can't see the motor well in this picture. But I was told it had the medium riser. One customer took his brand new miller ski boat flatbottom with the medium riser and ran 97 mph stock at the drags. No changes to the boat or motor. David Miller always raved about there motor's. He felt the high riser was a little to radical for a ski boat.

Blown 472
    There was a hondo hydro for sale here a few years ago that had a h/m nascar boss 429 in it, the guy who owned it also had a boss 429 mustang with an h/m motor in it and had a spare as well.

CircleJerk
    Dave A , A , A! Your name sounds like a 'shout off' at a Canadian Bar! Aye! Aye! Aye! Our #65 Tinkertoy Nosty racer is running a high riser 1964 Ford 427 as most of you have noticed in the Moses Lake picture post. He showed me documents from holman moody that confirmed his engine origin and the price for a complete dual four mill was 1800! The wildest item on the boat is the CP performance 22 quart oil pan complete with insignia and the 180 degree headers. You may have seen this in our video with the famous tooler Harlan Orrin doing the description audio. He gave me his H.M. twin filter oil cooler and said the boat can not use it! It runs too cool always. He would have liked to fill the pan with something to reduce the oil bill! Raysonkid, could you use this item? Also if you would care to talk to Bill in regards to his former marathon wickens, or its potent powerplant, just let me know. Funny thing, some racers have requested his 2300lb boat be moved up to the fast heat! It's been a ski boat for 37 years! I said, "only if his qualifying time places him there"! That's the same rules for everyone. Bill had a great year on 2003 winning every heat at every race! F irst On Race Day may have some merit here in Spokane.

RaysonKid
    Use what? The oil pan or the oil cooler?
    So if I run to fast in my Heavy Howard. Thats a bad thing?
    Guess Howard Brown tore up the drag course's, back in the day.
    With a hull like mine and a Blown motor.
    I belive it was called Hi Ho Silver...

RaysonKid
    Whoops Sorry,
    This is suppose to be about Holman & Moody.
    Not nosty racing..

Big Mac
    Dave: H & M started in N.C., but did have a west coast warehouse. It was in Signal Hill, Calif. They sub lease part of Stropps warehouse & had Chuck Day running the operation. They sold engine assy & Marine equipment to Boat builders & Marine engine builders. At the time I worked for Aero Marine Co. in El Monte, Ca & we built about 10 engine per day, 5 days per week. We sold to both Flatbottom & Jet builders. WE were also a rig shop for Rayson Craft, Stevens, Aqua Craft & many others at the time. The H & M fords were as good as it got at the time & the Chevy 427 were just comming on.

DaveA
    Originally posted by Big Mac
    Dave: H & M started in N.C., but did have a west coast warehouse. It was in Signal Hill, Calif. They sub lease part of Stropps warehouse & had Chuck Day running the operation. They sold engine assy & Marine equipment to Boat builders & Marine engine builders. At the time I worked for Aero Marine Co. in El Monte, Ca & we built about 10 engine per day, 5 days per week. We sold to both Flatbottom & Jet builders. WE were also a rig shop for Rayson Craft, Stevens, Aqua Craft & many others at the time. The H & M fords were as good as it got at the time & the Chevy 427 were just comming on.
    Now that's some good information!
    By the way, check your Private Messages for another question...
    Now comes the rest of the questions:
    I was wondering if the engine assembly work was done in Cali or if complete units were built to order or for stock and shipped to the Signal Hill warehouse.
    Did AeroMarine build/assemble Ford FE's? Or did AM buy the completed long blocks or whatever, and install them in the hulls they rigged?
    Was the rigging business primarily fueled by the individual buyer of say, a Rayson hull or a Stevens etc.? For example, if I bought a Rayson J hull, did I have the choice of having Rudy's employees or Aero Marine's people do the hardware/engine installation? Did it depend on what I wanted for power or other components? Or was the business of rigging flatties etc. primarily a subcontract business that Rayson/Stevens etal kept going to meet the demand for their boats?
    Finally, did AeroMarine have anything to do with the aircraft/aerospace industry? Just wondering about the name.
    Thanks again!
    DaveA

rrrr
    I have a friend that lives in Havasu. He is in his 60's.
    He and his best friend bought a new Howard flattie in '64 and they had a choice of Buick nailhead power or an H-M 427.
    He told me they couldn't afford the extra $270.00 for the FE because the boat took all of the money they had....$2,650.00.

ITLLFLI
    Try posting the question over on...
    www.donzi.net
    These guys are freaks about their boats! They are into the Donzi Classics but they know a ton of history. H&M was used quite a bit in those Donzi's.
    Also.... www.boatfreaks.org .....one of the guys over there worked for H&M for quite some time!

Big Mac
    Dave A. Most the H & M engine were built in N.C. They did put a few together at Signel Hill, but for the most part all were built in N.C. They offered many different engine assy. Low risers, Med risers, Hi-Risers & Hi-Winders. Later they came with a special 427-J style, for the jet boat builders. It was all the stuff they had over the years & they assy. engines from the left overs. The J was the name put on the engine assy. by Aero Marine. The ( J )wasn't for Jetboats, but for Junk. ( All the old leftovers)
    Aero Marine was a equipment mfg. & Rig shop that contracted the builders like Rudy (Rayson Craft) & Stevens, Etc. We did do custom install for people that bought a hull & stage boat from the Mfg. & wanted something more custom. Later we became the OEM engine supplier for Chevrolet & built 327cu in & 427 & 454 for all boat Mfgs. Aero Marine Closed in 1973 shortly after I left & began building parts for Hardin Marine the (Jet People). Dave you were right this is Steve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast