Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Post up some pics of your projects hears mine

cruser
    if the rails are set up parallel with the jet's input shaft, the angle and height will be correct anywhere the engine is positioned on the rails. This is what I am going to do if my hull ever gets done.
    cruzer

HBjet
    Originally posted by cruser
    if the rails are set up parallel with the jet's input shaft, the angle and height will be correct anywhere the engine is positioned on the rails. This is what I am going to do if my hull ever gets done.
    cruzer
    You don't angle the rails, you make the motor plates with the front being taller, to give you that 4 degree angle. When you originally line up the motor to the pump shaft, you mount everything so your inline. Then if you move the motor forward, say 4 inches... you still maintain the 4 degree angle, but the driveline off the motor will no longer be inline with the pump shaft. The correct fix for that is to make new motor plates, which would position your motor higher, putting everything back inline.
    The ideal setup would be getting the motor placement right the first time. I'm sure 565 had it perfect, but once you make a change, like adding a jetaway, you need to move the motor.
    HBjet

Jake W
    Yes that is what I was talking about Hbjet. If you move it forward you ned to move it up in the back,if you move it back you would need to move it down in the back.if you know what I am saying.
    Jake

HBjet
    Originally posted by Jake W
    Yes that is what I was talking about Hbjet. If you move it forward you ned to move it up in the back,if you move it back you would need to move it down in the back.if you know what I am saying.
    Jake
    Yeah, were on the same page...
    HBjet

quiet riot
    You don't angle the rails, you make the motor plates with the front being taller, to give you that 4 degree angle. When you originally line up the motor to the pump shaft, you mount everything so your inline. Then if you move the motor forward, say 4 inches... you still maintain the 4 degree angle, but the driveline off the motor will no longer be inline with the pump shaft. The correct fix for that is to make new motor plates, which would position your motor higher, putting everything back inline
    Why not do it like cruser said, then you wouldn't need different plates for different positions like jetaways, etc.
    jd?

HBjet
    For the average rail kit installer, I think it would be slightly easier to install rails level to the stringers, then to install them at a 4 degree angle, and have them both be parallel. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying there could be more headaches. I don't know about everyone else, but I didn't get a rail kit just so I could slide the motor around, I got it for easy removal of the motor, and it was a better mounting system which didn't pull into the stringers like the old Glenwood one would with 1" fender washers on the outside of the stringers.
    HBjet

superdave013
    Originally posted by quiet riot
    Why not do it like cruser said, then you wouldn't need different plates for different positions like jetaways, etc.
    jd?
    I see lots of race boats with splined one peice drive lines set up that way. Have seen that in jets, hydros and flats.

Well, sorta off topic, sorta not. It was a post about projects and since I just finished rebuilding the used carbs I got with my used tunnelram, I thought I'd put em up. Converted from 4160's to 4150's. 660 center squirters with mechanical secondaries.
    http://jetboat.homestead.com/carbs.jpg
    http://jetboat.homestead.com/carbs_done_copy.jpg
    Oh yeah, the first picture is the before.................
    I sorta got lazy on the polishing and didn't get in close to the webbing on the fuel bowls n such. It won't really matter cuz I'm gonna put the biggest, most obnoxious looking scoop I can find over em.
    I chickened out on polishing my own tunnelram. I was whining like a little kid just doing the carb bowls and secondary plates. I'm gonna pay somebody and be done with it.

cruser
    The other thing you have to be sure of if you angle the rails is that the center line of the crank is also parallel with the rails. Shouldn't be any harder than getting the crank shaft on the same plain as the jet shaft. The guy that suggested this to me said this is the correct way to do this and it isn't that difficult to do. Especially if you are setting the intake at the same time. Seems like it would make setting the engine easier after it the rails are set.
    cruzer

screamdreambrad
    everybody i know, including myself has there rails in at 4 and slide the motor forward or back on the rails, not build 5 different sets of motor plates. brad

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast