Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 455 HEI Conversion

Drunk tank
    Well after FINALLY getting my boat here to work on it I've decided to add one more thing to the list of "shit to do".... this list is getting way to fawkin long! I wanna convert the 455 over to HEI. I along with my dad had been trying to solve the problem the engine has with a high speed miss to no resolve. Currently it has a mallory dual point distriutor sittin on it, and I have a very hatful relationship with that damn thing. So I figure its time to junk that and go for a better setup. Can anyone tell me whats involved in this as far as wiring, mods and whatnot? Also, part numbers or model numbers for the distributors would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ryan
    edit: Found this distibutor (http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=PNX%2DD1100) but is it the right one? Still have no idea what to do as far as wiring and all that is concerned.

460rogers
    that one should work,
    unless you have a tunnel ram or blower!!
    they usually are 1 wire hookups
    just hook up ign wire and it will fire
    there is usually a hookup for your tach also Labeled tach or T

sleekcraft76
    and don't use a ballist resister with a hei dis.

Drunk tank
    Originally posted by sleekcraft76
    and don't use a ballist resister with a hei dis.
    I dont think I have to worry about that... as I have no idea what it is Care to enlighten me?

Foggerjet
    The ballast limits the juice going to the points while in "run", while in "crank" the points get full 12v. if you have points you have a ballast. it is a white ceramic thingy with two male spade connectors, one on each end. Usually near the distributor. Take it out and hook full voltage up to the IGN side of the HEI.
    Also, about that high speed miss, Pull your valve covers and look closely at your valve springs. I've had motors run pretty good at lower rpm and skip at higher rpm because of a broken valve spring. Could be your points, but it's something worth checkin.
    fog

Drunk tank
    Originally posted by Foggerjet
    The ballast limits the juice going to the points while in "run", while in "crank" the points get full 12v. if you have points you have a ballast. it is a white ceramic thingy with two male spade connectors, one on each end. Usually near the distributor. Take it out and hook full voltage up to the IGN side of the HEI.
    Also, about that high speed miss, Pull your valve covers and look closely at your valve springs. I've had motors run pretty good at lower rpm and skip at higher rpm because of a broken valve spring. Could be your points, but it's something worth checkin.
    fog
    I'll definatly check that out... I was gonna be replacing the valve covers anyhow, need some new chrome...
    As a wise man once told me "Chrome gets ya home" :wink:

malcolm
    What intake manifold is on there? Some don't have enough room for that huge cap.

HotRod Sprint
    Depending on the wire size going to the duel point right now, you may also want to run a slightly larger 12volt wire to the HEI.
    Rod

Drunk tank
    Originally posted by malcolm
    What intake manifold is on there? Some don't have enough room for that huge cap.
    I'll have to check but room is no issue with the current setup... hope it'll fit with the scoop I got comming in the mail from Rex though.

fourspeednup
    Got a pic of that scoop? I know you been lookin for awhile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast