Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 455 HEI Conversion

BiggusJimbus
    I switched over to a Mallory Magnetic Breakerless (Series 50 style) as the HEI wouldn't work (fit) with my Offenhauser manifold.
    It's worked perfectly so far. I thought I'd be bying an ignition module, but so far, I see no benefit from adding it, so I'll save my money.

Back Forty
    Like Hot Rod Sprint said, the original 12v supply wire from the switch is probably to small. HEI distributors like to use current. I suggest installing a a commonly available 30amp automotive type relay. You can usually find these at your average parts store near the accessory lighting section. I just did a n install last summer. I mounted mine off of the Berkley terminal strip on the back of the engine. Very easy to do a nice install. This relay allows you to feed the Hei directly from the battery supply on the terminal strip if you have one. If not, tie directly into the positive side of the battery. Use the original + wire that fed the old coil to feed the relay. I will admit to keeping a spare relay but thats just me being stupid I love the HEI. Between the HEI and dumping the holley in favor of a well tuned Q jet, I was able to tune almost 150 rpm more out of my 455 which is stock.:wink:
    Also, I would use at minimum 12 AWG wire to feed the distributor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12