Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trader Joe's - An Observation

LASERRAY
    Why does Trader Joe's seem to attract all the weirdo's? Me aside of course,( as I'm certainly not the most stable or centered person on the planet). It just seems like I'm always browsing the aisles with beatniks, Birkenstock wearing hippies, nerds, computer geeks, treehuggers, gays and lesbians, and especially Spendthrifts! It's just not the Albertsons, Von's, or Ralph's crowd. Must be the wheat germ on aisle 5.

bordsmnj
    yeeeaaaah,it's kinda like record store people. you can always tell who's working there even with out their name tag on. i think this could be cuased by over exposure to the product within. whether it's sniffing to much new poly-vynal or eating too many sprouts chased with soy kerd(fockin'YUK!) the Gf does like trader joe's for some reason.no offense dear

LASERRAY
    Yup, I was leaning towards the hydroponic alfalfa sprouts myself.

bordsmnj
    in the old days if you ordered a 'phototron" outa hightimes mag or anywhere else the narcs would be watching yuh . know i think everyone's actualy using them for "organic" homegrown FOODS! who woulda thought

LASERRAY
    Originally posted by bordsmnj
    in the old days if you ordered a 'phototron" outa hightimes mag or anywhere else the narcs would be watching yuh . know i think everyone's actualy using them for "organic" homegrown FOODS! who woulda thought Yes! I see the connection. :wink:

welk2party
    I never ventured in. Always thought meat eaters were banned.

mirvin
    The hippies go to Trader Joes and the Snobbies go to Whole Foods If you haven't been to a Whole Foods in the early evening it's quite a scene.
    Mirvin

Trader Joe's....what a success story. The store was actually owned by a local Pasadena man his name ....you got it Joe!
    After building a great little business in SoCal that was originally started as a semi deli semi nieghborhood grocery store he sold the small market chain to a German company. As he built the business he began buying unique and imported brands of dried fruit, wines, olive oils and specialty products from Europe and other areas of the world. He met the german investors as they were suppliers and store owners themselves in Europe.
    Fast forward 15 years later and the european influence is all over the store. For those of you that have been to europe you know that the mega-supermarket is really a North American phenom. In Paris as example the local or corner grocerey is small comparatively speaking to our Albertsons and is more like a specialty store. Thats what trader joes is trying to achieve.
    They want to attract the not so average shopper to their eclecktic smaller grocery store that has the specialty products reasonably priced. many of their products are specailly made for them in europe. such as their frozen pizzas, balsalmic vinegars and pastas. Their range roving chickens that bare great eggs and many of their other foods really are healthy choices. they have pesticide free foods and vegies. Trader Joes is the fastest growing supermarket chain in America today. Trader Joes has a marketing plan to double their size in the next 5 years nationawide..and they have 187 stores now all over the country.
    They are nonunion and have an incredible manager training program. they grow their managers from the ground up. Usually their managers are from the ranks that started as stock boys and checker girls that started partime with no benifits!
    The average Trader Joes store manager has a 6 fiqure income..depending on the stores location and age.
    I know this shit because my wifes exhusband is the President of Trader Joes inc. Boy does he make the bucks!
    He says they like all those Berkenstock wearing hippie assholes that think they are just the educated elite that really know how to shop at better places than the local Albertsons. As I said Trader Joes is laughing all the way to the bank!
    Personally I like Joe Albertsons place myself!

gnarley
    TJ's sells to a nitch market and tends to sell more wholesome food than the mass produced hormone injected, genetically altered and Hydrogenated stuff that is at your local super and the quality is higher in many cases. Most of those people care a little more about what they eat and how much they spend.
    I think that most people that shop there want better quality of food without paying higher prices. Their wine selection is pretty good and priced better than most regular stores. Their house label Charles Shaw for $2.00 (2 buck chuck) is a decent Merlot or Cabernet.
    If you care about what food goes into your body you will shop with an eye that reads the labels or shop somewhere that sells more wholesome foods. If you know anyone who has heart disease and had to undergo a bypass due to Cholesterol from stuff that is high in fats or high in Hydrogenated oils like Oreo cookies it will scare the crap out of you.
    You can eat crap when your young and think your invincible but when you end up on an operating table at 50 due to your eating habits it will change your mind and then you too will shop for better healthier food.

Gnarley,
    you are right...read my previous post it really is better for you!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast