Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: who knows fords

Craig
    Originally posted by Blown 472
    ford didn't put a v6 in a truck, probably a 300 straight six in that case the trans is the same a v8, just pull a v8 out of the same year, get the wiring harness and the ecu, and some motor mounts and a different rad and you will be set.
    Blown, I think in the later 90's (97 or so) you could get a V-6.

73kona455
    actually ford put the 4.2 v6 in trucks starting about 97

JetBoatRich
    Not sure what size 5th wheel you are talking about, but towing a larger unit with a F-150 does not seem like the right choice. After the engine swap, transmission changes you will need to make changes to the suspension to handle the new weight you want to tow
    If it is strictly for towing keep your old truck to run around town and buy a used Diesel Truck.

Jungle Boy
    Buy a new truck.

hoolign
    I agree with Jungle ,don't bother with the old truck spend the extra cash and get a new one,a diesel, loads of pulling power
    plus higher resale value.pulling heavy items with a gas,you can just watch the dollar bills fly out the tailpipe.
    My .02

Dribble
    Originally posted by iparky
    bottom line is the smog laws in good ole california say:
    NOPE!
    must retain all original equipment.
    Not true. You can install any engine that was originally available for that year make and model. Does not require a Refree inspection if you go that way.
    You can also upgrade to any newer engine if you add the emission control systems for the newer engine. You could put an 2004 supercharged Lightning engine in if you wanted. This does require a Referee inspection.

NOTALENT
    Originally posted by Blown 472
    ford didn't put a v6 in a truck, probably a 300 straight six in that case the trans is the same a v8, just pull a v8 out of the same year, get the wiring harness and the ecu, and some motor mounts and a different rad and you will be set.
    yeah they did its a 4.2 liter v6. sucks doesnt it.

Seadog
    To tow a 5th wheel would require the engine, tranny, rear end, suspension and more to be replaced. It can be done, but why? It would have no resale value, insurance would be a bitch and it still would not tow as well as a newer F250.
    And the F150 did offer a V6 during one of their Chevy moments.

HOSS
    Worried about fuel mileage? No problem. There was an article here about 2 years ago where a guy wanted to install a fifth wheel on his Civic. Hatchback of course. Ask riodog!
    I think a fifth wheel in a F150 is an awsome idea. Can I watch when you hook up?

CA Stu
    You're smoking criznack if you think an F150 will handle a fifth wheel.
    Power and running gear are way too light for any kind of heavy towing.
    Dump that thing and get a clean used Dodge diesel... I guarantee it'll be cheaper in the long run...
    Good Luck
    CA Stu

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast