Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daycruiser Rudder

SPECTRABRENT
    I just removed my rudder and it has seen better days.
    The chrome is chipped and rust is starting to eat away, like cancer.
    Can the rudder be welded and rechromed or do I need to buy a new one?
    Brent

BigBoyToys
    Buy a new one anytime safety is a factor (and it is here)

superdave013
    Don't risk it and just get a new one.
    Rexone, Mike @ Rex Maine or Looking for Liquid, Dan @ Canyon Marine both should have them.

BOAT ANCHOR
    Get a new rudder. Try contacting Barber Welding in Bell Gardens, Ca. (526) 928-2570. They build custom rudders, struts, fins, stuffing boxes, tiller arms, and water pick ups. This hardware is all available fabricated out of 17-4 PH stainless steel (heat treatable stainless) which when heat treated exhibits similar mechanical properties as 4130 chrome molly steel. 17-4 can be polished to a near chrome brilliance with out the issues of chrome plating (hydrogen embrittlement, poor plating adhesion, peeling, blisters, ect,ect.) and will never rust or peel. Their rudders are 100% custom built, and they have many different rudder blade styles to choose from, as well as choices of rudder shaft diameter. Their hardware is metallurgically certifiable (welding and material) and is simply just awesome stuff. Their hardware can be a little spendy, but it doesn't get any better than theirs. Just another choice.

superdave013
    Originally posted by BOAT ANCHOR
    Get a new rudder. Try contacting Barber Welding in Bell Gardens, Ca. (526) 928-2570. They build custom rudders, struts, fins, stuffing boxes, tiller arms, and water pick ups. This hardware is all available fabricated out of 17-4 PH stainless steel (heat treatable stainless) which when heat treated exhibits similar mechanical properties as 4130 chrome molly steel. 17-4 can be polished to a near chrome brilliance with out the issues of chrome plating (hydrogen embrittlement, poor plating adhesion, peeling, blisters, ect,ect.) and will never rust or peel. Their rudders are 100% custom built, and they have many different rudder blade styles to choose from, as well as choices of rudder shaft diameter. Their hardware is metallurgically certifiable (welding and material) and is simply just awesome stuff. Their hardware can be a little spendy, but it doesn't get any better than theirs. Just another choice.
    That's the same choice. I bet all of Barbers vendors just love it every time they get short cutted.
    I still say go to Rex or Canyon because the price will be the same and they are the ones that spend their time on this site helping all of us like they do.

v-drive
    I have to go along with SD on this one. Rex has more than been helpful to all of us.... v-drive

I think he should buy a used from somebody that is willing to part with it. Why buy it from somebody new when you can get it for cheap?
    :wink:

Lookin for Liquid
    Metallurgy 101 says there is a life expectancy of hardened or heat treated steels that endure deflective loads, vibration or inconsistent stress. Rudders or Struts have a life expectancy of ??????....No one knows for sure, but when it comes to a safety related item such as underwater gear, I do believe I would want to know how old the item is and what kind of abuse its been through. Some parts are a great deal used and some people might want to have the peace of mind knowing what is in control of their boat at 100 mph +, especially when they usually do not monitor its condition. Tony...not meant as a dig at you but I know you are fairly concerned when it involves a safety related item.

Dan, I did not take it as a dig at me. My post was a sarcastic one. Whenever somebody wants to know where theycan buy something, a lot of people usually jump in and offer up their used stuff for free or at a highly discounted rate. This undermines exactly what you are saying about safety and life expectancies. You are totally correct in your post, nobody knows for sure how long a rudder will last so you should start off with a new one. I appreciate the courteous response.

Kindsvater Flat
    No offence but new shit don't always work either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast