Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Ford vs. Big Chevy vs. Big Mopar

RaysonKid
    OK, I will test Rexones new rules.
    Whats the pros and cons of each make of big block in a single engine v-drive or jet.
    I know the v-drive, jet differance, So dont go there.
    I grew up with Chevy's. Now I own a Ford.
    Things like power, cost, replacement parts, (cough) fuel economy...

Blown 472
    I will play, I like fords and mopars, one reason is I can get them, I dont have to clamer all over the country to find a block or a crank or what have you.
    The mopars up until 74 came with steel cranks, their heads flow very well and parts are easy to find.
    The big ol fords are everywhere and for little money you can make good power with one, unlike spending 500 bucks for a chivvy block alone.
    flame on

Kurtis500
    Aluminum KB hemi water block and heads. Light and most powerful out there. Parts are easy to find too.

Blown 472
    Originally posted by Kurtis500
    Aluminum KB hemi water block and heads. Light and most powerful out there. Parts are easy to find too.
    Ok, that wins hands down, you able to pick up windowed blocks pretty cheap? how would a water block and heads do on the street?

LakesOnly
    These facts came about as a result of a somewhat heated arguement between Ford and Chevy guys sometime ago on the ***boat forum. Here are some of the facts in favor of Ford lifted from that post:
    ~~The Ford block is finished a little nicer than the chev, the head bolts are counter bored so if you deck the block you dont have to counter sink the holes--already done.
    ~~...using blowers and turbos on stock rods.
    ~~large cube stroker cranks from stock cranks...
    ~~They have the same canted valve design as the Chevy (even use the same Crane Roller roller rocker p/n's), and the 429/460's are dime-a-dozen everywhere for dirt cheap. And I mean dirt cheap.
    ~~We don't have to search hi and low for a tall deck block, all Fords are "tall" deck [10.300+"]
    ~~...symmeterical ports for better fuel distribution.
    ~~The Ford cast crank and 2-bolt block power threshhold is alot higher than the BBC.
    ~~BBFs can run bigger cams as it is located higher in the block than the BBC...
    ~~BBFs have bigger diameter lifters for a more "friendly" cam profile for flat tappet cams...
    ~~BBFs can make good compresson ratios with flat top pistons [chamber CCs range 72cc to 96cc] We don't need huge dome pistons to get a 10.5 to 1 C/R..
    ~~BBFs (have a) a 1.71 rod ratio...
    ~~(BBF's) make a 514-521-540" engine with stock parts and do it for under 3K...
    ~~...blocks can be bored to 4.500"...put in a 4.500" stroke crank and it makes a 572" engine for just under $3K...can ya do that with a stock block Chevy? (Answer: Hell no. And by the way, the BBF block does not need to be clearanced to accomplish this.)
    Ford does have a weight disadvantage. Not the end of the world, though.
    While there has been a huge number of aftermarket Hi-Perf parts available for Chevy's for decades, the aftermarket parts availability for Fords is growing exceedingly fast, and there are far more BBF parts now available than non-BBF fans realize.
    While the factory BBF exhaust port designs (as produced) are indeed dismal as far as flow is concerned, new developments in the area of portwork allow for fantastic results from OEM cast iron castings. This includes the so-called "smogger heads" that we now know can support as much as 600HP normally aspirated (and this is the mildest of ironm BBF heads used in the performance arena).
    Finally were it not for some pussy-ass biased immature people in the NHRA keeping the door shut, the BBF would very well be giving the BBC a run for it's money and (I think) possibly turning the tide in the next few years to come. Unfortunately because of this shut-door policy, we may never see it documented at the track...but it will become obvious soon enough.
    LO

So I'm assuming by your above post Ford still makes engines...

LakesOnly
    I didn't realize that "current factory production" was included in the criteria for eligibilty on this thread.
    If you're referring to the NHRA deal, I'm pretty sure Ford was recently involved in R&D with a motor that they would submit for NHRA homologation. I admit I need someone more knowing to confirm or deny this last claim of mine.
    I personally don't believe that since the 429/460 is not currently produced that this changes any of my above-noted claims vs. Chevy...aw, c'mon Rexone, think about it: If I'm correct, then you very well have the opportunity to double your business
    LO

Blown 472
    Yeah, what he said. Go get em lakes.

You read way too much into my post Lakes...

Kurtis500
    Originally posted by Blown 472
    Ok, that wins hands down, you able to pick up windowed blocks pretty cheap? how would a water block and heads do on the street?
    Windowed usually means its had a rod thrown through it, and then repaired. They are all aluminum, just like the block in the regular cars now days. They work fine. Some, like the KB stage 15, TFX and Rodeck/TFX 392 are forged aluminum too. Many of the heads are billet parts and not cast.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast