Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Ford vs. Big Chevy vs. Big Mopar

LakesOnly
    Originally posted by Rexone
    You read way too much into my post Lakes...
    "In this cornerrrr, weighing in at....."
    Silly me.
    LO

Blown 472
    Originally posted by Kurtis500
    Windowed usually means its had a rod thrown through it, and then repaired. They are all aluminum, just like the block in the regular cars now days. They work fine. Some, like the KB stage 15, TFX and Rodeck/TFX 392 are forged aluminum too. Many of the heads are billet parts and not cast.
    Does anyone make water heads? what about using an old fuel or alky crank in a blown gas dealio?

So the cats outta the bag now....the BBF was the top hp/torque producer over the 2nd place Chevy in the "Engine Masters" contest sponsored by Popular Hotrodding Mag. Among the many rules the engines were limited to 470" had to run on pump gas, had to use heads with stock port location, one 4 bbl carb, ect. Not only the engines were graded on peak hp and torque they were also graded on hp and torque curves from 3000 rpm to 6500 rpm. The scoring was a aggregate point accumulation, the engine with the highest agg. score won. Jon Kaase's BBF won not only on total points it made 40+ Hp over the 2nd place engine. So in answer to your question "Does Ford build engines?" I'd say they do.

FLYTE RISK
    Originally posted by 058
    So the cats outta the bag now....the BBF was the top hp/torque producer over the 2nd place Chevy in the "Engine Masters" contest sponsored by Popular Hotrodding Mag. Among the many rules the engines were limited to 470" had to run on pump gas, had to use heads with stock port location, one 4 bbl carb, ect. Not only the engines were graded on peak hp and torque they were also graded on hp and torque curves from 3000 rpm to 6500 rpm. The scoring was a aggregate point accumulation, the engine with the highest agg. score won. Jon Kaase's BBF won not only on total points it made 40+ Hp over the 2nd place engine. So in answer to your question "Does Ford build engines?" I'd say they do. Easy there 058 You Cant call FORD an engine more like a grenade. And what was the final cost to build this monster ford as I am quite sure it came in first there as well, First to exceed 10,000 dollars!!! And what happened at Daytona??? 3 chevys in the top 5??? Let the excuses begin! And lakes does'nt John Force drive a Ford that is the N.H.R.A correct??

fords are for farm tractors

Kurtis500
    And lakes does'nt John Force drive a Ford that is the N.H.R.A correct??
    How embarrasing for Ford it must be to put all that money into John Force's operation knowing that to be competative the beast under the hood is a pure late model CHRYSLER hemi. All late model TFX blocks and BAE hemi heads. Some slight changes to some areas, but a lot of the parts can bolt on to a 426.
    Blown, Mopar and KB make water heads. Some fuel guys liked them because it kept the valve seat temperatures down. So I'm told. A guy from Tucson used to go to Apache lake with a Mako flat and an all aluminum KB block and heads. He sunk it in front of the ramp after the rough water cracked the hull, but recovered it enough to get it on the trailer. But it was a nice blown motor and all and made the 17 mile trip from each end of the lake more than once I think..
    About the cranks, my dads carburated 392 hemi in his old boat had an old nitro crank that was taken out and recycled. It broke the crank in the middle of the lake on July 4th 85'. Seems the stress got to it after only a few years in a regular flatbottom. It still idled to the ramp but had a very loud clanking to it.

The contest results speaks for itself. If BBCs are so great why do they come in second? Cheap to build? ....Indeed!

Blown 472
    Originally posted by Kurtis500
    How embarrasing for Ford it must be to put all that money into John Force's operation knowing that to be competative the beast under the hood is a pure late model CHRYSLER hemi. All late model TFX blocks and BAE hemi heads. Some slight changes to some areas, but a lot of the parts can bolt on to a 426.
    Blown, Mopar and KB make water heads. Some fuel guys liked them because it kept the valve seat temperatures down. So I'm told. A guy from Tucson used to go to Apache lake with a Mako flat and an all aluminum KB block and heads. He sunk it in front of the ramp after the rough water cracked the hull, but recovered it enough to get it on the trailer. But it was a nice blown motor and all and made the 17 mile trip from each end of the lake more than once I think..
    About the cranks, my dads carburated 392 hemi in his old boat had an old nitro crank that was taken out and recycled. It broke the crank in the middle of the lake on July 4th 85'. Seems the stress got to it after only a few years in a regular flatbottom. It still idled to the ramp but had a very loud clanking to it.
    You think some recycled fuel parts would work in a lake boat? Like block, crank and heads?

Havasu47
    I think I saw a Ford at Havasu. It was hard to see for sure with the ripples on the water and the rope tied to it anchoring a chevy powered boat.

Kurtis500
    Originally posted by Blown 472
    You think some recycled fuel parts would work in a lake boat? Like block, crank and heads?
    Yeah I think so. The block is fine since they are all sleeved and can be changed out. if its been windowed then you never know unless a good shop repaired it. I dont know about the crank for the reason above, but the cranks today are way stronger and get pulled out of a fuel engine after a couple passes. The heads should be fine too, as long as they are good and not like the windowed blocks. If its machined billet aluminum like much aftermarket hemi stuff, I think your looking at a way stronger parts than cast aluminum stuff which is by far the majority of aluminum aftermarket parts.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast