Thread: high speed handlingl

phat phil
    boat ocillates at 70+. Is this chine walk? just done service on outdrive everything is solid. BUT ther is a small amount of freeplay in steering when moving wheel back and forth. Boat is 22' Scarab 454 174B&M blower bravoI 28-4 blade mach no trim tabs.Do I need tabs and a new steering rack and cable. New at this

Havasu Hangin'
    Probably chine walk. Steering needs to be very tight, or it'll get worse.
    I'd spend your money first on external hydraulic steering...that'll tighten it up. Then tabs. With tight steerng, some guys can drive through it. Bumping the tabs down a hair should settle it down.
    Might want to try a 3-blade...less stern lift.
    Good luck & be safe.

wsm9808
    Phil, do you have any pictures of your engine set up?
    I also have a 22 Scarab with a stock 7.4. I have a BM 250 blower setting in the garage, but to install it, it looks like I would have to cut out some of the floor in front of the dampner and modify the back seat and of course put a hole in the engine hatch/sundeck.
    Did you buy your boat with the blower already on it, or did you install it? And how much MPH did you gain with the blower?
    thanks, Scott

phat phil
    Thanks for the advice I am looking for the
    tabs and steering now. I will gets some pictures up soon. Both the floor and bulkhead had to be modified I reinforced the bulkhead with stainless
    plate,for strenght and to provide a belt guard. Purchased the boat from my buddy (since 5th. grade we are now 39 years old.) He got the boat like it is now from the original owner who had the mods. done.Did not modify sundeck ,but it is tight on the arrestor. I have seen 75 mph/gps boat still has more, but too loose for me (rookie)
    [ June 19, 2003, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: phat phil ]

TCHB
    Trim tabs will help lower the boat into the water and stop the chine walk.