Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Slug finally ready for dyno.. motor pics

HEAVYBOAT

HEAVYBOAT
    Originally posted by HEAVYBOAT
    Dam..I knew I forgot something.
    Dyno predictions? First off, I have to smash the original de tuned quad whipple SLUG record at 7 pds of boost.I think it was 950hp.. the 70's technology roots will go...........
    1060 hp 7 pds at 6400 rpm
    Now,peak power?
    I really dont know.... its gonna make some good power with 10 or 12 psi.
    Lets wake up MR Moderator.
    Info, lets bet a 12 pack of beer cans (shipping included)on whos closer.. most power I can make with a carbed 871 burning Gas.
    This yr, Im going to run C12
    I will disclose pulleys, combo ect
    You in?
    WOOO..... JUST WAIT A SECOND
    My guess was 1060 hp and my pull was 1063..
    http://66283.150m.com/TheHookup/1063.jpg

Infomaniac
    I was going to post earlier that I will not collect since I had specified 7k RPM and 12% under to get 7 PSI
    You overboosted HEAVYBOAT LOL
    Seriously man. I would look into why the oil pressure dropped 10 PSI. Did you guys cut the filter open?
    Also on the relief valve thing. BDS usually recommends a dimension on the compressed length of the spring. It should not have lost boost at higher RPM. If anything it should increase.
    I would think the misfire and boost is tied together.

HEAVYBOAT
    Cut two filters open, all looked good.
    We did do one hot lap pull, one after the other.. oil temps were up 25 or so degrees on that one pull, could that do it. I only see a 5 psi differance.
    Rick

Blown 472
    You put a blow off in that blue thunder intake? they dont come with one.

Infomaniac
    Nevermind about the oil press thing. I had to enlarge the photo so my eyes could read it better.
    looked like 63 to start and 53 at the end.
    I would be happy with the results.
    Did that manifold have a relief valve?

Freak
    Originally posted by Infomaniac
    The last time Info's on line dyno service spoke up. It caused a shit storm that still blows to this day. But that one was unsolicited.
    LAMO I remember that!

HEAVYBOAT
    Yes it has a relief valve, and now that you mention it, I do remember the spring measurement. I'll go out right now and do it.
    If it did open, you would think it would show a big boost drop on the data? no?

Unchained
    When I ran a blower I got the whole setup from Hampton with a competition tall deck manifold. The manifold had no blow off valve.
    I asked Don Hampton about it and he said if there was a popoff by the time it lifted the damage would already be done so he doesn't use them. He must know his stuff because he's been building blowers for decades and had the nitro funny car record for a while back in the 70's
    I have a homemade popoff on the side of my intercooler box. I set the spring pressure with a fish scale which worked pretty good.
    I also checked the fish scale with a barbell disc and it was pretty close.
    I'm sure it would only help to vent excess boost or a spike on shutdown. If there was a serious backfire it would probably blow one of the 3" aluminum tubes off from the compressors.

Blown 472
    Originally posted by Unchained
    When I ran a blower I got the whole setup from Hampton with a competition tall deck manifold. The manifold had no blow off valve.
    I asked Don Hampton about it and he said if there was a popoff by the time it lifted the damage would already be done so he doesn't use them. He must know his stuff because he's been building blowers for decades and had the nitro funny car record for a while back in the 70's
    I have a homemade popoff on the side of my intercooler box. I set the spring pressure with a fish scale which worked pretty good.
    I also checked the fish scale with a barbell disc and it was pretty close.
    I'm sure it would only help to vent excess boost or a spike on shutdown. If there was a serious backfire it would probably blow one of the 3" aluminum tubes off from the compressors.
    That is who designed the blue thunder intake and he told me the exact same thing. Never had a problem with it.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast