Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Slug finally ready for dyno.. motor pics

Blown 472
    Originally posted by HEAVYBOAT
    I have no idea what 3/4 race cam means.. I use to hear my Dad use the term when I was a kid. We all know someone old enough here that could probably fill us all in.
    INFO... help us out
    And from what I understand, budjet472 just drives a minivan and a torn apart junker boat.
    And you just took the straight axle off your car right?
    budjet 472, now that is funny, I think I might need to change my name. eh??
    Is that your wife on the sunday nite sex talk show?

MAXIMUS
    My in house mechanic is a good ol boy from Kansas. Every story that Henry tells about fast cars or shine runners from "the day" all had "FULL BLOWN CRYSLERS" or duals with a 3/4 race cam... lol I don't believe he really ever owned anything exciting himself. So my brother & myself took his 70 Ranchero (429GT) & install a new 429 dove motor with a tunnel ram & dual 600's. We cut a hole in the hood & finished the car off with some black steel rims, chrome lugs & raised white letter tires! The car runs very well & I swear is the best thing that ever happend to him! Sorry for the long boring story...

Havasu47
    Originally posted by MAXIMUS
    My in house mechanic is a good ol boy from Kansas. Every story that Henry tells about fast cars or shine runners from "the day" all had "FULL BLOWN CRYSLERS" or duals with a 3/4 race cam... lol I don't believe he really ever owned anything exciting himself. So my brother & myself took his 70 Ranchero (429GT) & install a new 429 dove motor with a tunnel ram & dual 600's. We cut a hole in the hood & finished the car off with some black steel rims, chrome lugs & raised white letter tires! The car runs very well & I swear is the best thing that ever happend to him! Sorry for the long boring story...
    Come on.... tell them about the GOLD toilet bowl chain keeping the wing nuts on the air cleaners!
    LMFAO

MAXIMUS
    Originally posted by Havasu47
    Come on.... tell them about the GOLD toilet bowl chain keeping the wing nuts on the air cleaners!
    LMFAO
    LOL... oh yea I forgot about that? Well you can take the okie out of kansas but you can't take kansas out of the okie!!! Besides fag you're just jealous you don't have that trick shit on your kmart car!

Craig
    Kind of like what maximus eluded to. In the "old days" guys either had a full boogie race car with race engine and hence full race cam. But when you had something bad, but not quite full race, you had a "3/4 race cam" Kind of a dumb saying when you think about it

Freak
    LOL I remember back in the 80's a Crane advertisement in Hot Rod mag for their 3/4 race cam. I always thought it was a hot street cam that would be mild on the track. Kinda the "pro street" grinds of today.

Freak
    Results we need results from the big day!

HEAVYBOAT
    What a crazy day, we had to get up at 3 am this morning and drive 4 hrs in heavy fog in order to be at the dyno for 8am.
    Overall the day went pretty well, I had some problems (every pull) with it misfiring again at approx 6400rpm and up. And here I thought I addressed it with getting rid of the shitty crab style distributor cap, but I thought wrong. So now the only thing we can think of is it possibly snuffing out the flame(spark) at higher rpms. Maybe the plug choice was all wrong.
    Ok, and the new BDS AIRLOC rotor blower has got me a little baffled. Dustin at whipple commented here a while back that the retro type rotors just "make more power at one rpms and less at another" emm...
    This is the only way I can guess how my boost is higher at 4500rpm then it is at 6500rpm!!. That Tricky little discharge port can play games with ya cant it. .I'm going to have to start a new thread with this deal and hopefully get some answers. Anyways, the peak hp might not be as high as I wanted, (especially with not being able to rev it cause of the misfire going on) but not even in my wildest dreams did I expect this kind of low to mid range power. IT IS ABSOLUTELY INSANE!!
    I need to scan some of these pulls to be able to illustrate this, so when I can get someone to scan them for me, I'll post them.

Full Race Cam = You were the baddest mofo in town. And the local speed shops best rear tire customer. No one but other full race status dudes would dare choose you off. Your car ran about 40% of the time... when something wasn't broken. You ran the loudest turbo muffers or glasspacks available at the time. Your parents garage looked like a scaled down wrecking yards engine parts room.
    3/4 Race Cam = You were moderately fast but not yet full race status. You were an expert at water burnouts comin around the corners and across the neighbor you hateds front lawn. You were also a regular on Sat nights on Whittier Bl revving your 3/4 race cam small block in neutral at the stop lights. You broke a few axels dropping your Cast Iron Powerglide into gear at 3000 rpm. That was on nights you didn't blow the oring out of the torque converter and leave your ATF in a large puddle running from under your immobile car.
    RV cam = You were a member or had at least submitted your application to the Good Sam Club and were the cheapest sob the guy at the Chevron station ever met in terms of the gas quality you'd always buy. Chevron Supreme was not your cup of tea and you used STP religeously for the better gas mileage Andy Granitelli had guaranteed you'd get on TV. You bought your STP at the swap meet along with your "seconds" OP shorts. You also had the latest spark enhancer installed on your coil tower and curb feelers installed on the passenger side of your car.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast