Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: good piston/cam combo with headwork?

I'm building a BBC 454. The block is at a local shop right now getting diped/checked/honed/etc. I have not yet droped the heads off because i'm not really sure what i'm going to do yet.
    The heads are stock GM heads as far as i can tell. What kind of combos can some of you recommend(head work/piston/cam comobs), i dont think i will be buying new heads unless of course the price is right and the work on these heads costs the same as new heads.

HOSS
    Well you first have to decide on a few important issues. First one is what type of fuel do you wanna pump in the bitch. Next would be wether or not you want to build for longevity and durability or balls to the wall. Then how much bread you wanna throw at it. Finally, how fast you wanna go, how much horsepower you wanna make, and do you wanna run juice. Yeah, you answer all those questions and you`ll know exactly what you need to buy/do.
    Keep in mind that after you answer these questions the 10 million different ways of doing it will be thrown at you. No way in particular is going to be better, just an opinionated way of doing it. Welcome to the world of hot rodding.
    Buy a comfortable chair for your work bench. Might I suggest Tractor Pull for a good read?

bahh, i rewrote that stupid responce above so many times i removed all the important details...
    Needs to run on pump gas (91)
    I dont plan on running NOS.
    it's going to be a NA build.
    I'm mainly looking to get some good power out of the motor but at the same time i want it to be reliable. What kind of compression can i get away with on a BBC, i know its much lower than i'm used to. What are some good brands? JE? Keith Black? Crower?
    Is it worth it to do head work to the stock cast iron heads?
    I dont have a ton of money for this project as i have alot of other areas i am going to have to spend money on. I cant really give you a exact amount of money i plan to spend because i dont really know.

HOSS
    Lets see what you got already. The piston maufabs mentioned are all great. See what you have first. You may already be there.

What i have already? As far as i know everything on this motor was stock.

h2ojet001
    what is the casting numbers on the heads?

disco_charger
    Those are newer style truck heads. Open Chamber Ovals 86-88, mortec says. I'm not sure about the castings, if they're thick enough to really grind on. If you can't afford heads, maybe cutting those for the big valves wouldn't be bad. However, they'll work fine stock. It just depends...Do you need to try to be the fastest, or are you just putting this boat together to run decent?

HOSS
    Didn`t you already mention domed pistons in another thread? By the looks of those retainers the motor has been gone through,,,recently.

HOSS
    Why are you taking this thing apart again? Where did you get it from? Was it running? No juice, pump gas, NA (?) build,,,,,,sounds to me like a good cam, intake, carb and your in business.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast