Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which style of cam generates the most

VD CRUISER
    Does all of this mean that a roller cam would definately, without a doubt, make more power in my blown motor than a flat tappet cam ?

HOSS
    Originally posted by Blown 472
    cylinder pressure, if all things being equal between two engines and one had a roller and the other a flat tappet which would have the greatest cylinder pressure?
    again,I stand by my first reply.

Havasu47
    Blown sits back after throwing the bait in the pool of Piranhas, drink in hand, laughing

Roller cam will make more power. . .NEXT!!!!!!!!

Blown 472
    Originally posted by Havasu47
    Blown sits back after throwing the bait in the pool of Piranhas, drink in hand, laughing
    Not today, the reason I ask is my buddies small block mopar with roller cam has 225 psi cranking, and that is what got me wondering. But now that you mention it, I think I shall have a whiskey seven.

Blown, I have a "quart" of Blackberry if you want some TN home spirits!!!! You won't need the 7. This is good for a low carb diet.

Blown 472
    Originally posted by cstraub69
    Blown, I have a "quart" of Blackberry if you want some TN home spirits!!!! You won't need the 7. This is good for a low carb diet.
    Thats mighty nice of you, last time I was in mississippi a guy that I was working with at the paper mill gave me quart of the "mellow" stuff, sheesh I think it could peal paint. Goes good with fruit punch thou.

Havasu47
    225 psi cranking
    Wellllll in that case...
    I would guess this is a high compression engine, or a wide lobe seperation camshaft, or both.
    One thing is that a rolller cam will NEVER have the same profile as a flat tappet cam. Even if they both have 250 deg at .050. The ramp is always steeper on a roller cam, resulting in faster valve action. The duration at .100 will be longer on a roller. Quicker ramps, longer duration as the lift increases, with the same overlap CAN create higher cylinder pressures. Camshaft design is much more complicated than this, but this is the Readers Rigest version.
    Now with that said, I'll have a Red Bull and Vodka. (feeling a little tired):sleeping:

Blown 472
    Originally posted by Havasu47
    225 psi cranking
    Wellllll in that case...
    I would guess this is a high compression engine, or a wide lobe seperation camshaft, or both.
    One thing is that a rolller cam will NEVER have the same profile as a flat tappet cam. Even if they both have 250 deg at .050. The ramp is always steeper on a roller cam, resulting in faster valve action. The duration at .100 will be longer on a roller. Quicker ramps, longer duration as the lift increases, with the same overlap CAN create higher cylinder pressures. Camshaft design is much more complicated than this, but this is the Readers Rigest version.
    Now with that said, I'll have a Red Bull and Vodka. (feeling a little tired):sleeping:
    Giddy up, thanks for all the good info, now riddle me this, why do the dist gears wear out so fast? and production roller cam stuff can go 100k plus on the same gear?

OEM stuff is "cast" billet. They call it billet but its not. So you can run a melonite gear or a steel gear.. 8620 billet whether it is the Crane gold core or the Wayburn black core requires a bronze gear, Ampco 45 material. As for why, I don't know, but I do know the gear mfg. so I will ask him...tommorrow...dinner time here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast