Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which style of cam generates the most

Havasu47
    Originally posted by Blown 472
    Giddy up, thanks for all the good info, now riddle me this, why do the dist gears wear out so fast? and production roller cam stuff can go 100k plus on the same gear?
    I would guess that you are referring to bronze gears typically used on dist. with roller cams? If so.... the bronze gear is designed to be softer and wear so the cam gear (steel billett) doesn't. Most of the stuff we use, solid roller and hyd. roller, we get with a cast gear installed on the steel core cam. This allows us to use a steel gear on the distributor and get longevity. Also, the HP oil pumps most HP engines use put more load on the dist. gear causing them to wear faster.
    Now...WHERE'S MY DRINK????

Blown 472
    Originally posted by Havasu47
    I would guess that you are referring to bronze gears typically used on dist. with roller cams? If so.... the bronze gear is designed to be softer and wear so the cam gear (steel billett) doesn't. Most of the stuff we use, solid roller and hyd. roller, we get with a cast gear installed on the steel core cam. This allows us to use a steel gear on the distributor and get longevity. Also, the HP oil pumps most HP engines use put more load on the dist. gear causing them to wear faster.
    Now...WHERE'S MY DRINK????
    Huh, interesting thanks, dude I am going on my second.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123