Thread: Will The Real Gaffrig Gauges Please Stand Up!

BoatFloating
    If you haven't heard the news here it is.
    Gaffrig Celebrates Victory and 20th Anniversary in 2004!
    What a great way to start the New Year. Not only is Gaffrig celebrating their 20th Anniversary in the marine industry, but also their victory in the courts awarding them exclusive rights to the Gaffrig name.
    "Justice has prevailed", says Mike Schultz, President of Gaffrig Performance. "We're just glad it's over and excited to begin the New Year on a positive-upbeat note."
    Over the years consumers have become increasingly confused about who the "real" Gaffrig manufacturer is. Therefore, in December 1999, in order to protect its consumers' interest and the credibility of the Gaffrig name, a trademark infringement lawsuit was filed. Now, four years later, the verdict has finally come in:
    On December 19th, 2003, Hon. William J. Hibbler of the US District Court, Northern District of Illinois, states: " Gaffrig Performance's request for an injunction against Livorsi Marine's use of any trademark or tradename incorporating the word Gaffrig, or the use of such a mark on, or in connection with the sale of, any marine products is GRANTED."
    Gaffrig Performance, has been for 20 years and will continue to be the sole manufacturer of Gaffrig products.
    In 1984 James Gaffrig started his marine product lines with a liquid filled speedometer. Over the past 20 years and many new products later, that Gaffrig name has become synonymous with quality. After Jim Gaffrig's untimely death Mike Schultz who had worked with Gaffrig since its inception, purchased the company and continues to operate it with the same passion for excellence set forth by James Gaffrig.
    Gaffrig provides the industry with equipment and products that meet the demanding needs of the marine environment. James Gaffrig's original muffler design, utilizing "gun silencer" technology, makes it one of the top mufflers on the market today. In addition, the waterproof gauges and US Coast Guard approved flame arrestors will stand up in the toughest of marine situations. The newly redesigned controls are constructed of lightweight aircraft aluminum and offer larger smoother handles for a more comfortable grip and can also be purchased with optional in-handle lighting and switches. Consumers can be confident that a Gaffrig product will withstand the harsh elements of a tough marine environment.
    "Personal service, superior quality and innovative products are what we have always and will continue to strive." says Schultz. "We enjoy what we do...and it reflects in our products!"
    For questions or comments, please contact Mike Ferraro - 630-533-8100.

Froggystyle
    I am sticking with Livorsi personally. I think they have proven to me to be the more cutting edge of the two, and I thought they should have dropped the moniker years ago uncontested.
    In any case, I am glad it is settled. Two sides to every story though...

HOSS
    I use Medallion. I guess they are cheaper because they are not involved in a blown out lawsuit. They work just fine. Not liguid filled-------------but who really gives a ****.

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by HOSS
    I use Medallion.
    Do they even make Medallion anymore? I heard they were sticking to OEM and getting out of the branded stuff.

C-2
    Like Froggy said, two sides to every story. IMO, Mike Livorsi is a stand-up guy and strikes me as very business savvy. There are a lot of flakes in the marine industryÂ…but if you call Livorsi, he will always, and I mean always, promptly return your call and give you his undivided attention. IMO, his customer service and product line will long outdistance any dispute about the name.
    Was confusing as hell though!!

BoatFloating
    I too agree with the Frog man. It seems like Livorsi has had new and more cutting edge products. But according to the judge there is only 1 side to this story. I think Livorsi really put the company in a awkward position by saying they were the true Gaffrig.

Eddie Marine
    The fact of the matter is that Livorsi did produce the authentic Gaffrig instruments. He spent 16 yrs promoting and building the name. Unfortunately, he made a wrong move somewhere and didn't fully secure the name. So, now Mike Schultz, manufacturer of authentic Gaffrig mufflers and flame arrestors, is selling af completely different instrument as the original Gaffrig gauges. Lets look at it this way, if Porsche lost the rights to their name, would people quite buying their cars and switch to a new company using the Porsche name? The fact that Baja, Fountain, Cigarette, Formula, among others, have, without a hiccup, made the transition to Livorsi branded gauges, speaks volumes for who produces authentic performance marine instruments.

Steamin' Rice
    I have heard good things about Livorsi and will pick them over the ongoing Gaffrig....