Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '72 Hondo flat w/blown Pontiac HEMI

StevenB
    Hi All, first time here. I looked around the site and would like to become part of it. I've loved hot boats all of my life. I understand the virtues of each type of drive and I like both of them. I have a '74 Rogers jet I bought without a motor and installed a 428 Pontiac. I've had it for about 12 years, it has run as fast as 71 with a Q-jet. Not too bad. Anyway, I've gone for rides in V-drive boats and always liked them too. Last year I came across what may be a once in a lifetime find. An ultra rare Mickey Thompson blown, injected Pontiac HEMI in a cherry '72 Hondo flat bottom. I went to buy the motor but, when I saw how nice the boat was, I decided to buy the whole thing. It's a beautiful '72 Hondo, all original, the hull has been in the water only a few times since new and was stored inside. It hasn't been in the water since the late 80's and even has the original bia ply 70's tires (all are dry rotted but still made the 450 mile trip home ) on the trailer with chromies. She is red metalflake with scallops and black int. Very clean. The motor is very special and very rare. many of you may have never even heard of a HEMI Pontiac but, Mickey Thompson made them in the early sixties. The guy who I bought the boat from bought all the stuff new from Mickey in '63 but, didn;t use it 'till the early 70's when he bought the Hondo. more to come.
    . I also have a web site. www.pontiacheaven.org with pics.
    Steve Barcak

StevenB
    Also,
    I have torn the motor down to inspect it, get the blower, polished and freshened as well as the mag and injectors. The custom headers are being plated too. I can't wait to take it out for the first time in a few months! I've never driven a v-drive other than my brothers 21' he used to have. I know I'll have to take it easy while learning.
    What else in the boat should I look for and service? The thing is so clean. I may want to attend a v-drive event too.
    Finally, I did have a small mishap when it got home. My dog jumped up the the thing and scrtched the deck a bit. How can I fix this? Can I buff the gel coat?
    Thanks for any help, Steve

BILLY.B
    Steve, you should be able to color sand the scratches with 800 grit and finish off with 1500 till all the scratches are gone. Then buff out with 3m heavy duty compound to cut the clear gel coat. Polish with a polishing compound and you should be in great shape.

mfrey
    Very nice boat StevenB...something different too. Good luck with it.

LakesOnly
    Originally posted by StevenB
    Last year I came across what may be a once in a lifetime find. An ultra rare Mickey Thompson blown, injected Pontiac HEMI in a cherry '72 Hondo flat bottom. I went to buy the motor but, when I saw how nice the boat was, I decided to buy the whole thing. It's a beautiful '72 Hondo, all original, the hull has been in the water only a few times since new and was stored inside.....Very clean.
    That's a hell of a find...
    LO

superdave013
    Steve,
    Welcome to the forum.
    What a classic boat! Don't change a thing!
    Hope to see more pics of it.

76BARRON
    You may be able to fix the scratches but im thinking how do you fix that dog!!!??? Are you sure it's done making scratches ?
    Anyway ,welcome and good luck!

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    Nice boat and great website!

DetroitJim
    Steve,
    I've seen your website, you cannot imagine how amazed I was at seeing that boat. To find a M/T hemi at all is a lifetime dream of any Pontiac nut, to find that one was rigged in a v-drive is astounding. I'm a Pontiac guy from way back, actually grew up and went to school in Pontiac Michigan. I had a N.O.S. Ram Air V yes V in my hands once but it slipped away. I have everything needed to put a Pontiac in a boat, my 455 will go in a v-drive someday. In fact what got me into the whole drag boat thing was going to see Alex Hiller's Pontiac Ram V powered flattie "Fool's Way" run in Flint Michigan back in the early 80's.
    Good luck with the boat and stay safe! Flatties with big power can bite you hard.
    Would love to see any pics of the engine torn down. There is very little historical info out there on the hemi.
    DJ

LakesOnly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast