Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '72 Hondo flat w/blown Pontiac HEMI

Kurtis500
    Do you have a picture of the rocker arm gear? That is one great find, I heard they are very rare.
    Steve, bring that Hondo to Apache lake Memorial Day, I'll have mine up there with the Mopar in it.
    Heres a pic of my dads Spico flatbottom from either 1964 or 1965 here in Phoenix. Its a 389 Pontiac. Pretty sweet ride even by todays standards/ Photos are a little old.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...7spico-med.JPG

Oxnard
    don't keep us in suspense, what's the story behind the motor for all us young sprouts that don't know bout hemi ponyiacs?
    oxnard

dossangers
    YOU HAVE GOT TO BRING THAT THING TO NEEDLES IN APRIL FOR THE BASH THAT THING IS F@#KING BITCHEN!!!

StevenB
    wow! Thanks for all the nice comments and encouragement. Sure, I'll post some more pics, but, there is more on my site too. Look up my "History" (including an ad from his catalog), "My race cars" and the "Boats" page.
    A little history. Chrysler had dumped the HEMI in '58, I understand it was not because it was a bad engine (hardly) but, because of costs I think. Pontiac had become very active in performance development in the late 50's, Mickey Thompson was affiliated with Pontiac kinda' like Holman Moody was with Ford. Mickey built a 4 engine Pontiac powered Bonneville car and went 406 mph with it in 1960. He set hundreds of records with Pontiacs in many different kinds of racing. In 1961, Thompson and crew decided to look into making Hemi conversions for Pontiacs. They debuted the HEMI Pontiac and NHRAs biggest drag race, the US Nationals and won top eliminator with it beating none other than Don Garlits in the final. Things were rocking in the racing world with Pontiac until January 24, 1963 when the GM corporation banned Pontiac from any racing activity. Overnight, there was no more development, parts, race cars, nothing. Even Mickey Thompson was dumped (of course many of you know he switched to Ford and remained there through the 60's.
    Back to the Pontiac Hemi. Some things actually interchange with the 392 Chrylser, like the valve covers, rocker arms ad shafts. However, the rocker stand are Pontiac because of the head bolt pattern. Also, the ports were extensivley changed and updated from the 392. All the M/T heads are alum too. I'm fortunate enough to own 7 of these heads. Another pair is going on my front engined nostalgia Top Fuel car (that's another story).
    enough of the gab for know. Here's some more pics. Again, thanks for the nice words. Steve

mouzer
    Classic find Steve,and welcome.that is a rareity,i think it was dossanger said Billy B. has a classic old circle boat 4 sale.(Bezer)i think, i think im gonna go out and take a look at it,i saw the thread and it looks awsome to restore......its all good cheif.

A Bezer is not a "classic" A la Hondo, Rayson, Aquacraft, etc...
    Its a full tilt circle race hull from the glorious 80's. (As in, holy shit, that thing can turn left!!! )
    Hope it works out for you.

mouzer
    My apoligy! not a classic ok got it mike.

wsuwrhr
    Hey Steve,
    Welcome to ***boat, I dig your website. Cool shots, and projects. Where do you find all the time?
    Are you doing the machining on the billet blocks?
    Brian
    Originally posted by StevenB
    wow! Thanks for all the nice comments and encouragement. Sure, I'll post some more pics, but, there is more on my site too. Look up my "History" (including an ad from his catalog), "My race cars" and the "Boats" page.
    A little history. Chrysler had dumped the HEMI in '58, I understand it was not because it was a bad engine (hardly) but, because of costs I think. Pontiac had become very active in performance development in the late 50's, Mickey Thompson was affiliated with Pontiac kinda' like Holman Moody was with Ford. Mickey built a 4 engine Pontiac powered Bonneville car and went 406 mph with it in 1960. He set hundreds of records with Pontiacs in many different kinds of racing. In 1961, Thompson and crew decided to look into making Hemi conversions for Pontiacs. They debuted the HEMI Pontiac and NHRAs biggest drag race, the US Nationals and won top eliminator with it beating none other than Don Garlits in the final. Things were rocking in the racing world with Pontiac until January 24, 1963 when the GM corporation banned Pontiac from any racing activity. Overnight, there was no more development, parts, race cars, nothing. Even Mickey Thompson was dumped (of course many of you know he switched to Ford and remained there through the 60's.
    Back to the Pontiac Hemi. Some things actually interchange with the 392 Chrylser, like the valve covers, rocker arms ad shafts. However, the rocker stand are Pontiac because of the head bolt pattern. Also, the ports were extensivley changed and updated from the 392. All the M/T heads are alum too. I'm fortunate enough to own 7 of these heads. Another pair is going on my front engined nostalgia Top Fuel car (that's another story).
    enough of the gab for know. Here's some more pics. Again, thanks for the nice words. Steve

Originally posted by mouzer
    My apoligy! not a classic ok got it mike.
    Sorry, I must be grumpy b/c I sold my circle boat
    I hope the Bezer works out.... Or, if not, I guess I can buy another one

StevenB
    I'll try to post a valvetrain pic here. Yes, I am doing the machining on my forged billet blocks, as well as the only non machined factory alum Ram Air V block, with help from a few friends. We are working on the tooling. I don't know where I find the time. One thing is for sure, there is never enough of it. If I had more time somehow, much more would be completed instead of started or planned.
    I've always been a gearhead, athletic sports has always bored me. I know a lot of guys waste enormous time watching ball games. I'd rather be working on something in my shop or yard. I'm single too that really helps productivity. My girlfriend is usually pretty fair on how I spend my time. I did buy her a few "Mr Wonderful" dolls though. LOL.
    I love that pic of that Pontiac flat with a 6 carbs, bitchen!
    Steve www.pontiacheaven.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12