Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Atkins 1st week down

HammerDown
    Hey MMD, it's called Sam's Choice (American Clear).
    Good stuff BUT like most all Diet Sodas it has Aspwrtame in it...Atkins Book suggest to stay away...maybe hidden Carbs?
    Heck, I can only drink so much water.

mirvin
    So how's things going Hammer? You feeling alright about everything?
    Mirvin

HammerDown
    Originally posted by mirvin
    So how's things going Hammer? You feeling alright about everything?
    Mirvin
    Yes, things are going quite well, thanks for asking. I got the test strips and although I'm not in the extreme purple...pounds are coming off.
    Feel much better then when I PM'd you, sleeping better at night and feel better in the morning...come to find out I was kinda between the Induction phase and none Induction...that's what made me feel run down etc. (not good)!
    For sure I'm under 20 grams of Carbs per day...more like 10 or less. I kinda miss the other things I'd use to eat for Breakfast, the easy stuff like frozen Waffles, oatmeal etc...there's only so much one can do with eggs.
    Haven't had Pasta or Pizza, Bread in 3 weeks...and that ain't easy being Italian...but no big deal. When I get to where I want to be I'll have them as a side dish instead of the main course.
    I'll tell ya the food cravings really dropped since I've lowered the Carb intake.
    My only vice are Diet Sodas (always had it)...I can only drink so much water, and I'm drinking a ton of it.
    Just got a George Foreman Grill...beneficial with the new way of eating.
    PS. I got the book...very good reading as it answere alot of questions.
    And tonight on Dateline a topic about Atkins.
    Thanks for all your advice...Ray

mirvin
    Good to hear Ray.
    I just had a sorta bad experience that everyone should look out for. I had a check up last week and my cholesterol was high. 201 to be exact. I did some hard examination of my diet and realized I had never fully made the transition into long term maintenance. I was eating too much fat and not enough fiber (veggies and grains).
    I started eating a low carb cereal and made sure I ate 5 servings of veggies and in 6 days of doing that I lost another 5 pounds! Those were the five lbs that I had been struggling with for months.
    THe book talks about not getting stuck in the early phases of the diet so make sure you understand the transitions and that you complete the phases into long term maintenance.
    I'll get my cholesterol checked again in 3 months and let ya know.
    Mirvin

NorCal Gameshow
    I cut back on carbs no venti mocha's no fast food and dumped some lb's...i feel better, much better i'm not doin' atkin's, just kinda doin' a low carb, low fat dealio...does atkins promote eating fat, or just no or low carbs ?

mirvin
    Norcal, if you cut carbs out totally then you need to eat fat as your energy source. If you just cut back then you should be able to balance your fat and carbs and mantain your desired wight.
    ATkins does steer you toward high fat only because that's whats necessary for the process of teaching your body to use fat as its primary energy source. The theory is that if your eating too many carbs then your body stores the fat. If you cut carbs totally then your body is forced to burn fat for energy.
    You should be fine. There's nothing wrong with a low fat diet. Just make sure you eat enough feul for your body.
    Mirvin

MagicMtnDan
    Originally posted by HammerDown
    Hey MMD, it's called Sam's Choice (American Clear).
    Good stuff BUT like most all Diet Sodas it has Aspwrtame in it...Atkins Book suggest to stay away...maybe hidden Carbs?
    Heck, I can only drink so much water.
    Thanks HD! So does anyone know the dealio about Aspartame? Do we need to steer clear of it?
    By the way, had a package of salami and provolone cheese (salami was listed at zero carbs and provolone was listed at less than 1 carb) that I bought at Costco. Cost me about $6 and it was good.
    Can't we have iced tea with lemon and sweetener as a drink (besides H20)?

HotRod Sprint
    5 weeks, have lost 15 pounds. Still a ways to go. Did not stop drinking diet Coke, have 3 to 4 a day. In some people the Aspartame <--spelling can trick the body into thinking it is carbs and slow down the fat burning process.
    RD, I know this is a tough one, but try to lay off drinking any beer for at least a week, maybe two. Stick to less than 20 (preferrably 10) carbs a day for that time. It will get your bodies metabolism into the fat burning mode. Once you get it going you can go back to the beers in moderation.
    Rod

HammerDown
    Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
    Can't we have iced tea with lemon and sweetener as a drink (besides H20)?
    I belive Iced Tea with "Splenda" sp? is fine...but for some reason in the Book, they also want you to stay away from caffeine. I belive because it may increase ones appetite.

MagicMtnDan
    How's everyone doing on the Atkins diet?
    I'm on day four and down 7 pounds.
    Eating lots of protein (steaks, chicken, hot dogs, burgers, eggs, bacon, cheese, and all the other good stuff). Not hungry and lots of energy.
    How're you doin?

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast