Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Atkins 1st week down

HotRod Sprint
    Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
    How's everyone doing on the Atkins diet?
    I'm on day four and down 7 pounds.
    Eating lots of protein (steaks, chicken, hot dogs, burgers, eggs, bacon, cheese, and all the other good stuff). Not hungry and lots of energy.
    How're you doin?
    I've kinda hit a wall after coming down 15 pounds. Not giving up though. This has happened before.
    Rod

HammerDown
    Originally posted by HotRod Sprint
    I've kinda hit a wall after coming down 15 pounds. Not giving up though. This has happened before.
    Rod
    Rod, theres a chapter in the Book about "Hitting a Wall". You maybe taking in some exrea carbs somewhere. This is why I got the Book...as it gives you something to fall back on for such questions/concerns.
    It really is worth the 15 smakers.

HammerDown
    Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
    How's everyone doing on the Atkins diet?
    I'm on day four and down 7 pounds.
    Eating lots of protein (steaks, chicken, hot dogs, burgers, eggs, bacon, cheese, and all the other good stuff). Not hungry and lots of energy.
    How're you doin?
    MMD you may want to give the HotDogs and Lunch Meats(if your eating them)a second look. Alot of processed meats such as those have sugars and bread fillers in them...something I didn't relaize untill I got in the Atkins book.
    They also recomend to stay away from Bacon/meats that are cured with Nitrates...but I haven't seen Packaged Bacon with out it. Unless they want to to purchase a shelf of Bacon from a butcher and have them slice it up.
    I've just started to try different things (experiments) like making fresh jumbo Burgers with Green Onion (yellow/white onions have to mant carbs), stuffed with cheese and cooking them on my new George Foreman Grill...lay on some Mayo or the Cheese on top= Dam Tasty!
    Aslo eating good low carb Veggies like (fresh) Broccoli and Asparagus with Cheddar Cheese and REAL Butter.
    Remember, carbs in a Veg. are actually less when you minus the Fiber Grams they contain.

MagicMtnDan
    Thanks for the tips on the lunch meat and bacon - I'm bringing my lunch to work (a novel concept for me) - mostly stuff from Costco - lots of chicken and they have it already cooked and cut up in packages, already cooked on the bone in packages and the already cooked whole chickens - they're about 5 bucks I think and they're damn good eating.
    Drinking lots of H20 and no desire for snacks

TANG-INATOR
    Which one of his (Atkins)books would you guys recommend? He makes so many it seems like, with a slight change in titles. Are they all the same?

spectratoad
    The diet is still going well. Kinda slipped this weekend with some drinking and dinner but went back on yesterday. You can sure feel the difference if you eat & drink the way you did before.
    Still have lots of energy and maintaining the inches lost.
    I am starting to get creative now with some fo the meals. It is sort of fun cooking.

betty boop
    got a question for all of you - i am a firm believer in eating healthy - i believe we all need to maintain a good body weight to stay healthy - but this whole idea does not make sense to me at all .... i understand how it works on the body, but i don't understand how it can be HEALTHY.......hasn't studies shown that all this processed, high fat, high cholesterol food is so not good for you.....it may be low in carbs, but do you really know what they put in all this crap????? Like i've said before, i have battled the weight issue since my teens - been anorexic, etc., etc., but i feel the need to tell you how it works for me.....i have maintained my body weight for the last probably 8 years (having a baby 5 years ago) I don't work out regularly (i walk, bike, hike, etc) but as humans we need certain things to stay HEALTHY!!! Cancer is always a concern, i firmly believe that what we put into our bodies is so important - if you are not getting enought fiber, how are you disposing of all that shit sitting in your bowels?? And all that high fat, what is it doing to your heart and other organs?? I have an article on Asparatame that i will post later (gotta find it first) that is very interesting....I am IN NO WAY AT ALL KNOCKING ANYONE FOR BEING ON THIS DIET it just concerns me that companies are making so much money off the shit they are getting us to eat...... i must tell you all the motivation to my way of living......i met a woman years ago who was diagnosed with cancer (it was all over her intestines, etc.) she is one of hte most beautiful women i have ever met) doctors wanted to do chemo all that stuff and she chose not to...her cancer is still growing in her stomache (after living over 10 years than she was supposed to, she does have a large belly full of cancer, but she still gets up everyday at home, and lives her life - a bit harder than it used to be, but she is still alive) Point of story - instead of chemo she chose to reevaluate her life and eating habits - she juices every morning (to make sure everything gets cleaned out of the system) she eats nothing but "live" foods(salads, fruit, veggies, etc.) she "makes everything" , she eats nothing bought in a store unless it's organic fruits, etc., takes natural herbs, vitamins - yes her cancer is very obvious, but it goes to show that our bodies need certain things in order to repair and sustain life - her doctors are amazed that she is still alive and moving - she is an amazing gardener - this woman was "supposed" to be dead at least 10 years ago - she is what makes me think about the foods that go into my body, and makes me think about the years ahead.......i'm sorry if i have babbled along, but i feel this topic is soooo important....i am no expert, just someone trying to live a happy, healthy life in a world so full of fast foods and crap that clogs our bodies from living to it's fullest...

spectratoad
    I have so far been getting ideas from the cook book and website and most of the stuff I am cooking is all natural. I use alot of veggies, unprocessed meat (I BBQ alot lately) and just stay away from sugar. I take a daily vitamin and I actually have not felt this good in a long time.
    I think that I am feeding my body all that it needs and it seems pretty healthy. My diet for the most part has not changed from my original I am just staying away from the fast food stuff and reading more nutrition labels.
    So far it is working for me.

MsDrmr
    diet is going well for me, its been one month now and lost 22lbs. one thing to look at when you hit a wall is the "inches" not the scale. I have not lost a lb in over a week, checked what I was eating and drinking and it's not the food. I have lost over 10" total from my breast area to my hips, so that tells me it's still working. The book says look at inches not lbs to tell. I dont drink diet sodas anymore however if I wanted one I would get the caffine free....the deal with that is your body will burn up the caffine for energy before fat and it gives you the false high. they say caffine is the most addictive drug in the world.
    Keep up the good work and visit atkinscenter.com for further information and a free journal of how you are doing day in and day out. I use it daily and have been able to track my inches and lbs and feelings and what I eat and drink during the day.

mirvin
    Hey SunBunny, The whole high fat thing isn't permanent. You eventually wind up with a deit that is pretty balanced and high in fiber. The beginnign phase of Atkins is the high fat phase. It works like this: You eat lottsa fat and no carbs and your body is then forced to use fat as it's primary energy source. Once your body is burning fat it's no longer storing it. Since your not storing fat you won't see the health issues related to fat build up. The only way to trick your body into doing this is to deprive it of carbs. THe only reason we store fat is because we're eating so much carbs that our body's have no choice but to store the fat.
    If you're interested I would suggest you get the book. It's all there.
    Mirvin

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast