Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ski Hydro rudder

FlatRat
    Looking for a steel rudder for ski hydro.I need it to be 16-17" below the hull with water pick-up.

mfrey
    FlatRat, is that the same length as the original rudder? I have a shovel nose Sanger ski hydro that rides/handles well at speed (low 10's at 106)...it's 11 1/4" below the bottom of the boat. Do you plan to go faster? I was told that a rudder with excessive length will act as a drag and pull the nose down at speed. I don't profess to know all, just what mine does.

Sangster
    Originally posted by mfrey
    FlatRat, is that the same length as the original rudder? I have a shovel nose Sanger ski hydro that rides/handles well at speed (low 10's at 106)...it's 11 1/4" below the bottom of the boat. Do you plan to go faster? I was told that a rudder with excessive length will act as a drag and pull the nose down at speed. I don't profess to know all, just what mine does.
    Dat's right...our's is 13 1/2 " down from the transom... You will need to have someone custom build one....$$$$$

SERIOUS ISSUES
    You will need to have someone custom build one....$$$$$ [/B][/QUOTE]
    CUSTOM: you pay extra for that.
    mfrey and sangster. are you blowing the tail on your hydros???
    I had outboard stearing on my old hydro and the rudder was aprox. 16" from the bottom of the boat. that was only 11" of rudder in the water at speed.
    I know it is totaly differant boat (inboard or outboard) but I would think the theory is the same.
    12" long rudder is only 7" in the water if you blow the tail. that would make it a little loose I would think.

FlatRat
    Mfrey,
    what is the location of your engine from transom?Mine is 43" and gearbox is 92",was told with that set-up I would need longer rudder since the tail will blow.Hey,I'm just a hillbilly trying to learn stuff and go fast.The rudder that come on boat is 13".Thanks for all input

Sangster
    FlatRat...How much HP are you puttin' in it.....

mouzer
    OH DEAR!!!!!!!!

FlatRat
    mild at this point,about 600hp.
    Mouzer,SAR.

mfrey
    Originally posted by FlatRat
    Mfrey,
    what is the location of your engine from transom?Mine is 43" and gearbox is 92",was told with that set-up I would need longer rudder since the tail will blow.Hey,I'm just a hillbilly trying to learn stuff and go fast.The rudder that come on boat is 13".Thanks for all input
    FlatRat, the front (rear) engine plate is 40" and the v-drive plate is 90" from the transom. The motor dyno'd at 610, and I run 18% and an 11 1/8x16 3 blade Radiece prop. The tail is out about 2 inches at 1/2 track, and stays there. I've made numerous passes at CFW, Chowchilla, and Bakersfield without any problems (knock on wood). This is definitely not the gospel, but it has worked well for me thus far. To ET better, I've thought about someday adding plates (wings) on the sides of the strut barrel to get her rear end up sooner. If I do that, I would likely go to a longer rudder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast