Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kennys Bar In The Desert

Ross
    OK,, If you're reading this then you probably go to the Parker Strip, and people that go to Parker are by nature, adventureous people.
    I had heard a story for a long time,, differn't versions, but the most consistant was about a guy who looked at a government map, saw a tiny spot of private land in the middle of government owned land, contacted the owners, and bought the place.
    The story goes he then built a home and a tiny bar called Kennys, or "Nellies" after the nearby mine.
    Decided to find out if the story was true. If this guy Kenny and the bar really exist.
    Started the enquiry at the County Line Sports Bar in the town of Parker, just outside the CRIT Indian River reservation.
    Seated at the end of the bar was an old Jasper and I asked him if the story was true.
    "Yep" he said,,"It's true", and he gave me directions how to get to it. "You'll need a high clearance vehicle" he told me. No problem, I had the Jeep.
    I followed his directions to the letter. "Head East, but keep to the right, but keep heading East".
    This was my first date with Kathy and as she now tells the story,, "We were headed through the desert, the nowhere that everything is a million miles from ,,And I figured Ross was taking me out to do me and then leave me".
    At this time,, the road was in very bad shape. Four wheel drive most the way and we were now on the trail about 45 minutes.
    Kathy had me stop near a mine opening, and she took my flashlight, ventured into the mine, then appeared with nice pieces of Turquoise.
    Back onto the trail to Kennys, a beautiful drive,, but now we came to a mountainside and the trail turned into what looked like a 11 degree grade to the top. Pretty steep at the time, and barely wide enough to for my rearviews to clear.
    Up we went in lowrange,, and at the top there it was, Kennys Bar in the desert.
    The parking area was loaded with street legal dunebuggies with license plates like "BARKAR" BARCAR" "KENNIZ" ect., 4X4's of all kinds,, and dirtbikes.
    We parked and ventured across a little bridge to the entrance of Kennies.
    As we entered the atmosphere was on fire. Several girls were seated near the entrance showing each other engagement rings that their boyfriends had collaberated together to ask them to get married the same day, that very day, so the girls decided to venture up to Kennys to celebrate,, without the guys. Everyone else having a good time.
    Nicely built, interesting place with restrooms and a class A health rateing.
    Nice looking girls as bartenders, and Kenny himself eventually made an appearance.
    Nice guy, though when I looked into his eyes I noticed someone was in there with him,, but harmless and friendly.
    Amazing how many people have gone to Parker for years and have never heard of Kennys.
    We always make a trip there at least one time each season.
    Kennys is open weekends noon to sundown, closed June through Sept. Reasonable prices, full bar, often entertainment and some hot fast food.
    Not a bad place, worth a look.

HavasuBarney
    We call it The Desert Bar and there are several roads leading to it. You don't need 4 wheel drive any longer.

mbrown2
    Funny thing about the desert bar, its the same people we always see along the floating bars, just with more clothes on.

Back To Havasu
    Just after Christmas last, Zuumer took the wife and I out there. There was a "tame" full grown wolf on a leash, and other stuff to look at...had a great time. wink

dkreuzen
    Here is a link to the Desert Bar if anyone is interested.
    And by the way it's only a little over 4 miles from highway 95 on a dirt road that is good enough to drive your Lincoln towncar on. Old Ross must have gone the back way or got lost
    Dennis

Boatcop
    The real name is the "Nellie E Saloon". It was named after the mining claim that was originally in the area.
    If you want to check it out, you'll have to do it quick. Ken closes it for the summer right around Memorial Day.
    [ May 12, 2003, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Boatcop ]

roln 20s
    Thats the coolest thing. Next time there (not during the summer), this place is on my list. Hot or not Hot, wouldn't people still go year round??? Just my thought!
    Roln 20s

Free Agent
    dkreuzen:
    Here is a link to the Desert Bar if anyone is interested.
    And by the way it's only a little over 4 miles from highway 95 on a dirt road that is good enough to drive your Lincoln towncar on. Old Ross must have gone the back way or got lost
    Dennis This was the year he opened, the road wasn't yet graded or improved it was more of a trail, and after a storm that washed out most of the wash crossings.
    Like the story says; "At the time"

Free Agent
    roln 20s:
    Thats the coolest thing. Next time there (not during the summer), this place is on my list. Hot or not Hot, wouldn't people still go year round??? Just my thought!
    Roln 20s Kenny has installed an unique natural draft cooling system that works very well.
    I think in the hotter weather his business slacks off considerably.
    A few memorial days ago I think he didn't have 10 people all day long, and he said he advertised the weekend alot.
    Funny trip that time (every trip is different), some girl customers were hasseling Kenny for what they believed he was making his girlfriend tend bar for free, while he F'd off with the customers.
    Several Coyotes came up to our table and drank water from the trough next to it. We petted them, they had blue bandanas on so we figured they're pets like the cat Nellie that sleeps on the bar.

just dont go out there at 4 in the morning they get a little testy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast