Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP525

Thunderbutt
    I asked the same question on Gear Heads. If you have the HP525 or the HP500, are you happy with it? I have never had a Out Drive set up. I've alwayes had V-Drives. Let me know if there is anything I should look for or expect.

1ASKYDV
    I have a HP525 in a Magic Deck boat. 50 hrs and no problems other than a little black transom, but that is going away now. The only problem is that it can't pass a gas pump!
    If you want a stock Merc package I think you would be happy with this motor.
    It has great mid-rage acceleration and sounds real mean with the CMI headers.
    [ August 13, 2003, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: 1ASKYDV ]

Thunderbutt
    Thanks for you're reply, Are you the same guy that replyed to this question on Gear Heads and told me to go to the Out Drive Tech. Am I miss something here, do we have to stay in order. I'm not trying to be shitty here, but just wanted to know. Thanks. It won't happen agin. (just joking)

1ASKYDV
    Ya, same guy...I just didn't want to type an answer twice!
    If you have any other ?'s let me know.

220EagleXp
    I have the HP 500 EFI and its a great motor. Change the oil and you will be fine, solid strong motor. Sounds niiiiiiiiiiice with the cmi's

WopOnWater
    I have the HP525 and so far it has been a great motor. Then again it only has 28 hours on it. The transom was getting real black on break in but has cleaned up nice now that it is broken in. Switching from 92 octane to 87 also helped and it even runs better. The midrange power is really good along with top end. The mileage has been good for me. And yes like everyone else is saying it does sound bad ass with the cmi headers. Hope this helps.
    [ September 23, 2003, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: WopOnWater ]

Jrocket
    HP500,130 hours no problems.It will vapor lock if the engine compartment gets to hot though from sitting.But thats not the motors fault,not enough air vents in the engine comp.Runs great,cold days or hot.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
    we're gonna have one in our next boat!(525)

Thunderbutt
    The reason I asked is that someone told me that the HP525 wasn't getting the performance that they expected, so why spend the money. They said depending on the hull the HP500 has a better hole shot and has the same top in. I'm going with a modified Cat type hull. I want the 525 because it has the on board cooling system and the HP500 does not, it is easer to winterize. Looking at the spec's of each motor the only differance that might produce HP is the alum heads, will those heads give out 25 more HP?

WopOnWater
    Yes the aluminum will give you 25 hp's. They are built by edelbrock for mercury racing. I dont know who told they were not getting the performance they expected by I am getting better than I expected. Builders estamated top end was 75 and I am getting 83 mph on gps with my combination. Then midrange pull is unbelivable.
    [ September 23, 2003, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: WopOnWater ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast