Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why a dual plane intake on an....

Blown 472
    muiti port efi, I was at the machine shop yesterday and there was an 460 truck efi intake, muiti port, since the intake is just moving air why would they use a dual plane, does the way the air moving thru it make more torque?

Craig
    Some of the bigger brains here might have a better answer, but I'd have to think it's still about port velocity for low end torque

Havasu47
    Generally a dual plane has longer runners and will make better torque at less rpm's. Better port velocity. Even on FI.
    They tend to hit a wall at higher rpm's.

Blown 472
    Originally posted by Havasu47
    Generally a dual plane has longer runners and will make better torque at less rpm's. Better port velocity. Even on FI.
    They tend to hit a wall at higher rpm's.
    So you are saying that just the length of the runner that is moving just air has an effect on the torque?

Sleek-Jet
    Yep. That's what I've been told.
    In fuel injection, longer runners = more torque, same idea as with velocity stacks.

Blown 472
    Originally posted by Sleek-Jet
    Yep. That's what I've been told.
    In fuel injection, longer runners = more torque, same idea as with velocity stacks.
    Strange, now you did it, Jordy will be in here soon.

LakesOnly
    Originally posted by Blown 472
    So you are saying that just the length of the runner that is moving just air has an effect on the torque?
    Blown, remember the 413 Cross-Ram inductions that put the carbs between the valve covers and fender wells?
    http://www.kotiposti.net/jarirantala.../crossram1.jpg
    And I think there were two lengths manufactured for different torque range...Long Ram and Short Ram, right? Anyway, that's what that was all about...
    LO

Blown 472
    But those were moving air and fuel. Funny how a different length runner that is just moving air can effect that, maybe it is better filling or a less disrubted colum of air.

LakesOnly
    Originally posted by Blown 472
    But those were moving air and fuel...
    They're moving air, Blown. Fourteen times more air than fuel, anyway, so it's the exact same principal.
    LO

Blown 472
    Originally posted by LakesOnly
    They're moving air, Blown. Fourteen times more air than fuel, anyway, so it's the exact same principal.
    LO
    Ok, but I want to know why a longer column of just "air" has an effect on torque output?
    And if you look at a dual plane the air has to make a 90 degree turn both ways to get to opposing cylinder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast