Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why a dual plane intake on an....

flat broke
    Blown,
    It's not that its merely a longer column of air. It is that the air (or air fuel mixture) is accelerated as a result of the longer runner which promotes cylinder filing whithout having to turn higher piston speeds to draw the charge quicker.
    Chris

Hotcrusader76
    Originally posted by Craig
    Some of the bigger brains here might have a better answer, but I'd have to think it's still about port velocity for low end torque
    and you hit it on the head. It's all about the increasing of air speed.
    Look at the new LS6 motors. Their intakes are very intricate in design to allow a ramming effect to fill the cylinders the best they can. Same principle.
    ~Ty

Hotcrusader76
    should have read further down this post before I answered...Chris nailed it before I did....lol

LakesOnly
    Originally posted by Hotcrusader76
    should have read further down this post before I answered...Chris nailed it before I did....lol
    Ditto....I went offline...
    Also, when the intake valve closes on those cross-rams, it sends a pressure wave back though the intake...which then bounces back in the direction of intake flow, causing even greater a/f velocity/accelleration. The trick is that the length of the runners--in conjuction with the valve timing (valve reopening)--is what effectively crates the "ram" effect of the charge . The length of the cross-ram intake runners will affect at what rpm the resulting increased torque is mostly generated, as this length affects the timing of the return of the pressure wave.
    Cool, huh?
    LO

Blown 472
    Originally posted by LakesOnly
    Ditto....I went offline...
    Also, when the intake valve closes on those cross-rams, it sends a pressure wave back though the intake...which then bounces back in the direction of intake flow, causing even greater a/f velocity/accelleration. The trick is that the length of the runners--in conjuction with the valve timing (valve reopening)--is what effectively crates the "ram" effect of the charge . The length of the cross-ram intake runners will affect at what rpm the resulting increased torque is mostly generated, as this length affects the timing of the return of the pressure wave.
    Cool, huh?
    LO
    Cool, cough cough, clink that is some bitchen stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12