Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A.N. Thread Sealer

3:30dirty
    Wondering what the best sealer to use on AN fittings such as fuel and oil pressure lines. Stuff im using keeps leaking and im getting pissed. Please give me any advice you can. Thanks!!

Liberator TJ1984
    SAE & JIC Fittings look the same but they are different and will not seat correctly ...do they screw together easily all the way to full contact ????
    I use just a dab of Hylomar sealant , mainly just to seal out moisture from seeping in and corroding the threads..or galling...

The difference between AN and JIC is 1/2*, and that is easily compensated for by the metal's memory in the flair. For all intents and purposes, they are interchangable.

It is a tiny leak at both the oil pressure and fuel pressure conection. Stainless hose from the gauges to the sender. New Autometer gauges. Old ones never leaked. Maybe they are not tight enough at the adapters.

Make sure you don't have SAE (45*) fittings on the gauge. THAT will cause a leak.

took the old adapters off my old gaffrig gauges so everything is the same...I will double check.

superdave013
    The difference between AN and JIC is 1/2*, and that is easily compensated for by the metal's memory in the flair. For all intents and purposes, they are interchangable.
    All the JIC fittings I buy are 37 degree just like the AN fittings. I buy them from Teleflex and NRP Jones.
    The stainless braided Teflon -3 and -4 inserts I use have both 45 and 37* tappers cut into them. I wish that was my idea but it wasn't. lol
    I would make sure it's tight. If it is I'd replace the adapter first. If it still leaks then try a copper conical seal on the flare's sealing surface.

Industrial spec on JICs is 37 1/2*, but nobody ever threw the 1/2 in when talking about them. As I said, 1/2 ain't no big deal. The 37/45 tapers is a cool idea... just another case of a day late and dollar short, I guess.

Taylorman
    Wondering what the best sealer to use on AN fittings such as fuel and oil pressure lines. Stuff im using keeps leaking and im getting pissed. Please give me any advice you can. Thanks!!
    Lets get this straight. Is it leaking from the pipe thread? Thats where you would use thread sealant. Any thread sealer will work. I use ARP brand.

Took it all apart and resealed the pipe thread with a good amount of sealer and cleaned the AN fittings good. This seems to have helped. I also dont think I had the fitting adapters tight enough the first time. Thanks for the info and the help. Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast