Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: paint and gelcoat questions

INEEDAV
    I am trying to clean up the boat while I am waiting to get to work on the engine. I am trying to repair a couple small gelcoat chips. Where is the best place to order the materials to fix the gelcoat. Also any advice on repairing the gelcoat would be appreciated.
    I am also trying to repair some paint checking all across the deck. I am currently wetsanding starting with 600 then 1200, and then moving on to using rubbing compund to polish it up. The problem is that in some areas the checking is deeper than the top layer of paint. Anyone have any ideas on how to get these at least semi-hidden until I can get the boat painted next winter?:idea:
    Billy

Fiat48
    Help Billy out with this.

SANGER-RICH
    Originally posted by INEEDAV
    I am trying to clean up the boat while I am waiting to get to work on the engine. I am trying to repair a couple small gelcoat chips. Where is the best place to order the materials to fix the gelcoat. Also any advice on repairing the gelcoat would be appreciated.
    I am also trying to repair some paint checking all across the deck. I am currently wetsanding starting with 600 then 1200, and then moving on to using rubbing compund to polish it up. The problem is that in some areas the checking is deeper than the top layer of paint. Anyone have any ideas on how to get these at least semi-hidden until I can get the boat painted next winter?:idea:
    Billy
    Do you have pictures of the spots in question????

INEEDAV
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...69000_0281.JPG
    It is mostly like in this picture. There is also some in the areas of paint that fade from charcoal grey to black. On most of that I have sanded about as far as I can without screwing up the color scheme, I will probably go ahead and sacrifice some of the scheme on the front of the deck where the checking is the worst. Some of the checking has been sanded out that was in this picture, some of it is just too deep to get out with out sanding down to the base coat. I appreciate any help you all can give me.

Jr. bentpipes
    Call Billy B, and get that thing painted,set your motor in and move to the west coast!!! so you can run it!!

SANGER-RICH
    Originally posted by INEEDAV
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...69000_0281.JPG
    It is mostly like in this picture. There is also some in the areas of paint that fade from charcoal grey to black. On most of that I have sanded about as far as I can without screwing up the color scheme, I will probably go ahead and sacrifice some of the scheme on the front of the deck where the checking is the worst. Some of the checking has been sanded out that was in this picture, some of it is just too deep to get out with out sanding down to the base coat. I appreciate any help you all can give me.

Unfortunatly the ctacks go into the base coat, It would be a waste to pur good material over the bad that is on it. It should be striped down below the cracks and start over, matereials are way to expensive now of days to do patch work on paint that bad. Try taking some wax and grease remover and see if you can get the wax out the cracks, if so and clear lacquer is available in your are it is alot cheaper than the urathaine clears here in CA, you might be able to re-clear over it and hide most of it for a while. My 2 cents worth. Rich

Kurtis500
    The deck on my Hondo looked like that in 95 when I repainted it. I ground the area down below the cracks and re-laid fiberglass. Then sanded everything back to original shape and painted. No roblems, but a lot of work.

INEEDAV
    Jr Bent Pipes that sound like a great idea, getting my wife convinced of that may be a little tough. I can run the boat here, as soon as the 16 inches of ice thaws on 11 Mile resevoir.
    Sanger Rich ; Repainting is in the plans for next winter, but I dont have the funds to build a motor right now and paint it too. I may try to see what I can do anout getting the wax out of the cracks and clear coating it. That may get me by till next winter. I have some clear coat left over from a repair on my truck, that may work, if not I should be able to get some here, there are several paint supply houses in Colorado Springs. If I cant get it out good enough I will just have to build it so it runs along fast enough you can't see the paint flaws.
    Thanks for the advice, if someone has some more or different advice let me know, I am open to any and all ideas.
    Billy

78Eliminator
    Run it ugly!!! Dial it in this Summer and pull it apart next Winter to paint it. At least, those are my plans. My Sanger's paint is beautiful, but it has a lot of stress cracks that need attention. I am going to repaint it very similar to what is there now, but in the mean time I am going to run the hell out of it.
    Justin

INEEDAV
    If it was time to get it on the water, that is exactly what I would do. I have a few extra days a week to find something to occupy, so this is what I am doing. Just trying to get by.
    Billy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast