Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: paint and gelcoat questions

78Eliminator
    I hear ya. Let us know how it turns out and shoot some shots after you clear coat it, if that's what you end up doing. I know NOTHING about painting. Keep us posted.

BILLY.B
    No matter what you do now you'll never be satisfied. You wouldn't put a band-aid on a broken arm right?. What i'm getting at is if you try and re-clear what you have it will only add to the problem when you go to re-paint (more material to remove). Is there paint under the exsisting paint job or is there gel-coat?. My suggestion is to live with what you have at the moment and save the money you'd spend trying to cover up the problem and put it towards the new paint job. Your going to have to completely remove all the cracked paint before anything of quality can be done, anything else will just be a waste of time. If you have any other questions i'd be happy to help you out.

INEEDAV
    Billy B.
    Looks like the entire boat is black gelcoat with paint over it. I agree that I wouldn't put a band aid on a broken arm, just wanted to make it look a little better till I can get it painted. I guess I can try to get out what I can and leave the rest alone. Only bad thing about waxxing it is it leaves the wax in the cracks, any ideas on that?
    Billy

Jr. bentpipes
    INEEDAV, I have lived in CO. Craig to be exact, you definately have a few extra weeks on your hands, I would agree with Billy & 78 elim, get the performance out of her and then paint it, depending on what your after there might be a lot of hours leaning over the side of that thing, having an excelent paint job just adds to the scratch factor and disappointment if that sound occurs then the ten minute cuss job and all your neighbors wishing you would move!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FlatUgly
    As the name implies, if its fast enough aint nobody gonna give u sh*t, but god damn im gonna get a lot of shit some day LOL, besides girls always dig horsepower over aestetics

BILLY.B
    Originally posted by INEEDAV
    Billy B.
    Looks like the entire boat is black gelcoat with paint over it. I agree that I wouldn't put a band aid on a broken arm, just wanted to make it look a little better till I can get it painted. I guess I can try to get out what I can and leave the rest alone. Only bad thing about waxxing it is it leaves the wax in the cracks, any ideas on that?
    Billy I believe Mequiars has a spray wax that won't dry white in the cracks like paste wax. Should work all right with what you have to work with.

INEEDAV
    Thanks Billy B, I will look for it tomorrow.

BILLY.B
    I know this will sound really stupid BUTT. If you need to get the old wax out of the paint cracks you can get some wax a grease remover and an old tooth brush or soft scrub brush and very softly scrub the area until your satisfied. Wiping of with a towel will not get into the cracks. I've tried this in the past and it does work. It's just alittle bit old fashioned.

INEEDAV
    Thanks, I was wondering how I was going to get the old wax and rubbing compound out of the cracks. I will start on this tonight.
    Thanks for the advice on the glass repair as well, it turned out good, it was just in the glass around the stringer, looks like the crack propagated from a hole through the stringer for the seat mount.
    Billy

INEEDAV
    Billy B.
    The toothbrush and wax remover works well, labor intesive as all hell, but effective. A few of the deepest cracks are keeping the white in them, but most are cleanign up decent.
    I am beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be easier to strip the paint off of the boat and have a black gelcoat boat for the summer.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Billy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12