Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Proposed California Boating Law

Pointerman
    Just heard that California has a new law proposed to regulate the amount of carbon monoxide emitted from boats. Apparently some kid died "teak surfing" (I can only guess he was riding on the swim platform) and now the law makers feel the need to protect us from the stupidity of this one family.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    I wish they would protect us from all of the idiots who rent lake lice and create a training class (perhaps even online) and issue licenses that can be revoked for doing stupid stuff like pulling three kids on a tube with no flag!

Essex502
    Where did you here this? There doesn't seem to be any information available which leads me to believe that it's your misunderstanding of the situation or it is in a very early discussion phase. Enlighten me.

life's a river
    I agree with you Mrs.SW. Other motorized vehicles need training, why not boats and pwc's? Wait til River Dave reads this topic.
    LAR

Pointerman
    Originally posted by Essex502
    Where did you here this? There doesn't seem to be any information available which leads me to believe that it's your misunderstanding of the situation or it is in a very early discussion phase. Enlighten me.
    Saw it on the morning news. They had some really sad father on TV talking about how he wish he would have known and then they started talking about creating a law to monitor the levels emitted by boats. This would be an absolutely ridiculous law. This is not an issue unless you stand there sucking up the fumes.

Essex502
    I think you're very premature on a law being on the books. There is already movement towards putting catalytic convertors on boats that will get there before a CO emission law will. Any internal combustion engine produces CO so to prevent it would be impossible. To lower CO is possible with the right technologies but to ban boats that produce CO...not bloody likely.

Sleek-Jet
    Originally posted by Pointerman
    They had some really sad father on TV talking about how he wish he would have known and then they started talking about creating a law to monitor the levels emitted by boats.
    I believe there are plenty of warnings out there about CO poisoning.
    Tragic yes, but laws shouldn't be to protect the ignorant.

victorfb
    no facts here at all, but im betting it was the kid that was resting on the swim step while all the other boats were beached but idleing so the batteries wouldnt wear down with the 10 million jigawatt stereos playing. they were in the channel at havasu, and what i read was that the kid wasnt drunk. just passed out by all the carbon monoxide. fell in the water and drowned. definatly a tradgety, and for the most part you cant blame the youngster. if they want to make a law about it. id say ok with the no idleing in the channel like that.

HavasuDreamin'
    I think they should implement a law making it illegal for stupid people to go boating.
    Father said he wished he would have known. I would ask him if he ever drove around with his kids 12" off his back bumper? Sucks for the kid that dad is a moron.
    Oh yeah.........dad.........guess what..........there is prop back there too. Turns out that if you put your finger in there while it is spinning, most likely, you will have one less finger.

HavasuDreamin'
    Originally posted by victorfb
    no facts here at all, but im betting it was the kid that was resting on the swim step while all the other boats were beached but idleing so the batteries wouldnt wear down with the 10 million jigawatt stereos playing. they were in the channel at havasu, and what i read was that the kid wasnt drunk. just passed out by all the carbon monoxide. fell in the water and drowned. definatly a tradgety, and for the most part you cant blame the youngster. if they want to make a law about it. id say ok with the no idleing in the channel like that.
    Teak surfing (see first post) is where the kid holds on to the swim step and body surfs the boat wake while dad drives. The post topic did not make it seem as though it was a channel incident.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast