Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wrangler

Outnumbered
    Originally posted by BoatPI
    I have a 99' Wrangler automatic at Havasu. It is scary unless in 4x4 backing down a ramp. That is alot of boat, so when water is low, it would be dicy.
    I strongly suggest the automatic. And you will ned a special hitch as Wranglers are tow rated at 2,000 pounds max. I would not do it. Too large a boat. And in Havasu, anything but a hardtop will fry in Summer or chill you in Winter. Look of one with the Dana axle as they have a 3.73 or 4.10 gear set.
    I run my soft top all winter, its no problem. It snows here and is much colder than Havasu.
    As far as the Danas go, they also come in 3.55s. I've got a Dana 44 with 3.55s and a trac lok, all stock. Even with the 32's the ratio is no big deal when in 4-lo. Its got so much torque with the I-6 that I have never had a problem pulling my boat around. I would NEVER drive it a mile on public roads though. I have a very soft coil suspension that is not made for towing.
    OL

Dr. Eagle
    I have a 2000 Wrangler Sahara with the 4.0L and an Automatic. I did find a 3500 Lb rated hitch for it at a local trailer supply shop. I have a 3" lift kit with Rancho 9000 shocks.
    I hooked up the Ultra to it thinking I could tow it to the lake and unhooked it right away. I suppose with air shocks or something I could have made it work, but it was too much tongue weight for the stupid thing.
    Also the brakes on the wranglers suck. I was at the lake with the lake lice one day. Coming home from the lake a signal turned red in front of me. Since the back brakes are drum and hadn't dried out completely, when I pounded the brake pedal, the fronts locked and the back brakes kept on rolling. I rolled right through the intersection, fortunately I was making enough noise everyone stayed put till I stopped.
    Now I love that jeep, but I do know its limitations, and the dual jet ski trailer is about all I am towing with it. And that is only for about 1.5 miles to the ramp from my driveway.

Outnumbered
    I was thinking, an old Blazer or Bronco would be perfect. Look for a 73-91 K-5 or a 78-90 something Fullsize bronco. They have the removable top, are heavy, cheap, and plenty of power to get to the ramp. I used to have a 74 k-5 and it was a blast. Full removable top up to 1975.
    OL

CrazyHippy
    The tongue weight will KILL it. My ol YJ used to squat fairly hard if you had 2 people in the back seat....
    BJH

dc96819
    Hope you wont have to tow to far

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12