Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bypass fuel regulator ?

VD CRUISER
    Info, I'm not sure I understood your post either. My question was, do you think the BG bypass regulator will work satisfactory with a Clay Smith mechanical pump, and should the regulator be mounted near the distribution block or can it be mounted closer to the pump to simplify the plumbing. I'll try to post a picture of my current setup, which hasn't given me a problem, I just want some extra insurance after reading some of the recent posts on this subject.

Infomaniac
    VD CRUISER
    Sorry man my posts sometimes do not address the topic. Sometimes I go with the flow of what the discussion is.
    You can gut that regulator and use it as a dist. block. Just drill another hole for a fitting and run it to a bypass regulator. That is the method I describe as the bypass in parallel with the carbs.
    I like feeding the carbs first and then bypassing the excess. Not sure why, Just personal preference. The BG bypass only regulators can be put inline and not restrict because the fuel flows straight through with no components in the way.
    My point earlier is that a conventional regulator is restrictive by design and BG makes up for it with a huge pump. lots of people run them without problems but just might pick up if they changed over.
    A bypass regulator with the proper size pump does not bypass a ton of fuel when under load. The bypass cracks open just enough to keep the pressure down to wherever you have it set. It bypasses more at idle than any other time.
    I might get killed for this but. I have seen and even bought one boat with fuel delivery problems. Even with a blower. The engine never leaned out to the point of hurting the engine but the starving for fuel limited the top end. Correcting the fuel delivery problem picked them up quite a bit.
    The one I bought had a nice fuel system but the tank fitting was tiny. I would raise the float level in the carb and it would run faster. The more I raised it the faster it went until it ran the fuel down to a level the fuel system could keep up with. Picked up 6 MPH when I fixed the tank outlet size.
    I have since seen many times boats with tank outlet too small or restrictive fuel system components holding them back.

Just to add to what info said. The little blue Holley regulators are one of the most restrictive out there. Look inside one sometime at the orifice size. You should never try to supply more than one fuel bowl with one side of the Holley reg. Better choice is to opt for something else entirely as info has explained.

P-Money
    Well, something along the lines of this was my original idea:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...lators-med.JPG
    But now I might reconsider. Thanks for the help guys.

GofastRacer
    Originally posted by Infomaniac
    I might get killed for this but. I have seen and even bought one boat with fuel delivery problems. Even with a blower. The engine never leaned out to the point of hurting the engine but the starving for fuel limited the top end. Correcting the fuel delivery problem picked them up quite a bit.
    The one I bought had a nice fuel system but the tank fitting was tiny. I would raise the float level in the carb and it would run faster. The more I raised it the faster it went until it ran the fuel down to a level the fuel system could keep up with. Picked up 6 MPH when I fixed the tank outlet size.
    I have since seen many times boats with tank outlet too small or restrictive fuel system components holding them back.
    I've seen that many a times, you can't have too much volume you just bypass the excess!...

VD CRUISER
    Thanks Info, Thats what I was looking for. My tank outlets are questionable, they are -8 but will be a major pain to change. I do have a -8 coming from each tank to a 1/2 ips tee, with a -10 going to the filter and then to the pump. Also does it matter where the bypass line feeds back into the pump inlet line. My filter,(Perma-Cool), has 2 inlets, would it be ok to dump it back into one of them?
    Info are you saying you prefer a set up like Craig posted above?

Infomaniac
    The one craig posted above is excellent.
    Returning to the filter is great.
    GofastRacer uses a Hilborn bypass. A lot less expensive than a BG bypass. Just not as easily adjusted. But you only have to adjust them once.

GofastRacer
    When I first used it I had to make it up myself, now Hilborn has one for carbs!..

Blown 472
    I have this on my blown car, four outlets, place for a gauge, works very well.
    http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...61&prmenbr=361
    I had fuel block that I had drilled and tapped both ends and used a hilborn bypass on that and it worked great, very simple and compact.

Fiat48
    When I did carbs I ran the same bypass that GofastRacer did. Back then the only choice you had was Holley's regulator which is so restrictive it cuts actual fuel delivery in half. Regardless of how well today's regulators flow, I'd still plumb them as a bypass. I don't want anything in the way of fuel volume to the carbs. Call me old school. I've been called worse.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast