Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bypass fuel regulator ?

GofastRacer
    Originally posted by Fiat48
    When I did carbs I ran the same bypass that GofastRacer did. Back then the only choice you had was Holley's regulator which is so restrictive it cuts actual fuel delivery in half. Regardless of how well today's regulators flow, I'd still plumb them as a bypass. I don't want anything in the way of fuel volume to the carbs. Call me old school. I've been called worse.
    That makes two of us!.

Infomaniac
    Me three

DiverDown
    Fiat 48 posted..When I did carbs I ran the same bypass that GofastRacer did. Back then the only choice you had was Holley's regulator which is so restrictive it cuts actual fuel delivery in half. Regardless of how well today's regulators flow, I'd still plumb them as a bypass. I don't want anything in the way of fuel volume to the carbs. Call me old school. I've been called worse.
    Amen Brother!

Heatseeker
    By reading thru this thread, I may be picking up a misconception.
    Is it possible to use a pressure regulator as a bypass regulator? I have a BG 2 port between the Clay Smith pump and the carbs. Is there a way to utilize that regulator as a bypass? How?
    I thought a bypass reg. bled off excess above the set pressure and a pressure reg. held back excessive pressure, supplying only set pressure.
    You guys got me thinking about doing a fuel supply mod. Not having to buy a new regulator would make it easier (on the wallet!!!).

Infomaniac
    You cannot use a normal regulator as a bypass. A normal regulator regulates the pressure after it.
    A bypass opens to maintain pressure before it.
    If that makes any sense.

Heatseeker
    That's what I thought. Thanks.
    Any one wanna buy a 1 season old BG 2 port ?

eliminatya
    i run a magnaflow prostar 500 pump with an external bypass on the pump, is this pump sufficient for a 1000hp application, i also use the magna flow 4 port regulator -10 inlet -8 to each fuel bowl.
    should i consider using a bypass regulator with this system or is a conventional regulator ok with this pump.

HEAVYBOAT
    That pump kicks some ass, and is good for what you need.
    And their tech supports my arguement, on rating pumps AT PRESSURE not at free flow
    The important issue is not how much a fuel system will flow (typically referred to as "free flow"), but how much power the system will supply at specific pressures. Essentially, the harder the vehicle launches, the more important the rating of flow versus pressure. The overall stability of the flow versus pressure curve affects how the vehicle responds to changes to improve the initial, 60 ft., 330 ft., and final ETs. The old "free flow" into a gas can versus time is very misleading and an inaccurate method as well. A test of volume flow versus time can be a good test ONLY if it is at rated pressure!
    http://www.magnumforce.com/store4/ma...lpumpgraph.jpg
    But you should NOT use a bypass regulator with that design of pump. It has a internal bypass so if you use a bypass reg you would essentially be bypassing the system twice. The guys over at product engineering or even magnaflow will confirm that theory. I did that exact thing with a bg280 and it hindered performance.
    The guys at areomotive said it best, a fuel system is exactly that "a system". Not all pumps,regs are interchangeable.
    Bypass systems are superior IMO, but you need a pump that is compatable... and that pump is not.

eliminatya
    thanks heavyboat. sam.

MAXIMUS
    Originally posted by eliminatya
    i run a magnaflow prostar 500 pump with an external bypass on the pump, is this pump sufficient for a 1000hp application, i also use the magna flow 4 port regulator -10 inlet -8 to each fuel bowl.
    should i consider using a bypass regulator with this system or is a conventional regulator ok with this pump.
    Do you know somebody with a 1000 hp?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast