Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub box inside back seat base question...

Nordicflame
    Do I need to cut holes and cover with speaker grills in the seat base or can I just fire them downwards in the enclosed seat base.
    I'm planning on cutting holes for two 6X9s in the base already but was wondering if I needed to cut an opening for the sub box to breath or leave it closed and fire them towards the bottom of the boat.
    Also sealed, passive or band pass box?
    Thanks for any input,
    Dave

Phat Matt
    Do I need to cut holes and cover with speaker grills in the seat base or can I just fire them downwards in the enclosed seat base.
    I'm planning on cutting holes for two 6X9s in the base already but was wondering if I needed to cut an opening for the sub box to breath or leave it closed and fire them towards the bottom of the boat.
    Also sealed, passive or band pass box?
    Thanks for any input,
    Dave
    I would need to see pics to help you with your install.
    A sealed box is the easiest, but it depends on what speaker you go with and the space you have available.

Havasu Hangin'
    The sound needs to get out of the pedestal, so you'll need ports, slots, or speaker holes (firing directly out).
    Firing directly out (flush with the pedestal) would be loudest, but the toughest to pull off.
    Downfiring the subs with slots will work, and I was suprised at how loud Slick's was with those fairly small slots.
    Using port tubes can work, but I'd be careful...as you'll create a bandpass type enclosure, that may have some cancellation if not done properly.
    No matter what, don't let the subs fire into the back of the 6x9's. :supp:

vegasriverjunkie
    I had 2 ten inch Kicker subs firing down in a sealed box. Sounded great and was using a Fosgate 300 amp bridged.

ROZ
    The sound needs to get out of the pedestal, so you'll need ports, slots, or speaker holes (firing directly out).
    Firing directly out (flush with the pedestal) would be loudest, but the toughest to pull off.
    Downfiring the subs with slots will work, and I was suprised at how loud Slick's was with those fairly small slots.
    Using port tubes can work, but I'd be careful...as you'll create a bandpass type enclosure, that may have some cancellation if not done properly.
    No matter what, don't let the subs fire into the back of the 6x9's. :supp:
    YEa, what he said

Slick
    You mean it would have been louder if the slots were bigger?
    Nubbs, you catchin' this?
    Here's a couple of pics of Nubbs' boat
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...56DSC00051.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...56PB110027.JPG

Havasu Hangin'
    Since when is "smaller" better?

ROZ
    Nubbs, you catchin' this?
    Here's a couple of pics of Nubbs' boat
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...56DSC00051.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...56PB110027.JPG
    You did a great job on that box, Slick....
    Who knows about the vent configuration, but to hear HH say how loud your boat was(and the expression on his face), I'd say you did it right....
    A recent boat we did with a couple downfiring 10's. We didn't notice the difference between the 10's facing foward or the 10's downfiring... We tipped the box and played it before we mounted it...

Nordicflame
    So, if I put the 6X9s out wide on the pedestal and then cut a large opening in the center to fire the subs into the cockpit it should work? I could use a large screen of some sort.
    Would the 6X9s need some sort of blocking wall with this set up or would the opening relieve the pressure well enough?
    Thanks Again

ROZ
    So, if I put the 6X9s out wide on the pedestal and then cut a large opening in the center to fire the subs into the cockpit it should work? I could use a large screen of some sort.
    Would the 6X9s need some sort of blocking wall with this set up or would the opening relieve the pressure well enough?
    Thanks Again
    The subs need their own enclosure and would not be sharing the airspace with the 6x9's because of it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast