Thread: marine radios on lake havasu

4day!!
    does anyone use or monitor vhf marine radios on lake havasu. If so which chanells? Just thinking it would be a great way to hook up with your buddies and get some info about the hot spots on the lake at a given time.

CARRERA
    That sounds like a very good idea, if it is not already being done. What does everyone eles think?

Dr. Eagle
    The handhelds won't do you much good or should i say go very far, so you pretty much need a 25 watt VHF with a decent antenna to transmit/receive very far. Handhelds work pretty well line of site, but not much beyond that.
    I was thinking of putting one in the Ultra, but it seems a bit extreme for a 21 foot boat. I have two handhelds that work OK for boat to boat communicaitions like you might want in a poker run or something.

GASHGAZER
    I have a cheapy 25 watt installed with a shakespeare short whip antenna. I must say that it came handy calling for a free coast guard auxillary tow when I blew a water line. I was about halfway between copper and parker and they towed me all the way back FREE!! I don't know if having a coast guard registered registration may have helped, cus I tried to give them a 20 spot for lunch and they refused it.... so I recommend it!!
    Channel 16 is the channel to use to hail the relay station for help, then they usually switch you to channel 98 or 99

Three Days Only
    They are great if you need to call vessel assist, other wise on Havasu it just a bunch of yahoos BSing back and forth. Get a portable with a portabe mag mount anntenna that will get you the distance to cover havasu on only 5 watts in an emergency. If your not worried about mounting an antenna on your boat you can get alot more distance with a standard mount system and antenna that will run up to 25 watts on high power.
    3DO

Essex502
    Also doesn't hurt to carry a cell phone and a FRS radio. One of the three should get through to someone.