Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: indexing plugs, hows, whys, and theory

Blown 472
    Originally posted by Fiat48
    I confess I have always done it also. Quench area is usually so tight I will close the plug gap if I don't. I only buy cylinder heads that use the old style large spark plug (3/4' reach) for cheap plug availabilty.
    Usually one or two cylinders I have to play with washers to get index.
    Speaking of quench area, what if you have a 4.360 inch bore and you have to use a 4.5 inch bore .040 thick head gasket, what happens to the quench then? now that you have this larger cylinder between the head and the deck?

Fiat48
    Well I guess I shouldn't have used the term "quench area" when what I was really talking about is piston to spark plug clearance.
    A larger bore head gasket would increase the "quench area" and thus lower compression but would do nothing to increase piston to spark plug clearance, which is why I index plugs in the first place.

MAXIMUS
    We have to on my buddies 468 so the straps dont get jacked! It is a major pain in the ass for sure!:frown:

schiada96
    Originally posted by Blown 472
    Speaking of quench area, what if you have a 4.360 inch bore and you have to use a 4.5 inch bore .040 thick head gasket, what happens to the quench then? now that you have this larger cylinder between the head and the deck?
    Then you used the wrong gasket

Blown 472
    Originally posted by schiada96
    Then you used the wrong gasket
    Well considering that is the bore size for the hp ford head gasket, pre flattened yadayada yada. I will be using cometics from now on.

Bense468
    Pro stock stuff, I wouldn't really worry about it unless you have issues with piston to spark plug clearance.

77charger
    Originally posted by 565edge
    I have to index mine to keep the ground strap from hitting the piston.It is a bitch and it does get old. same here but my tuner does that for me

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123