Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carpet in a V drive?

Kim Hanson
    Carpet in a V-drive That' funny........( . )( . ).....Unless they are washing them ...........( . )( . )..........

BILLY.B
    The problem with carpeting the bottom is you can't tell if you have any delamination going on down the road. Anytime I see a floor that has been covered up with anything other glass then I figure there was a problem somewhere that they were hiding. Now that can go for a vener job also. But if the guy is going to go thru all the effort to make the vener look right he usually spent the time to make any necessary repairs to the floor. I always leave about a 1/4 inch gap between the stringer and the vener so i can tell if the stringer ever comes loose from the bottom.

dmontzsta
    I have had carpet just in the front of my boat for about 2 years. It actually came up after 1 year, the water soaks into it and takes forever to dry, actually I dont think it ever dries and that is why it has come up. I basically just need to tug it up and it will be off, you slide on it and it sucks, I do not recommend it. That rhino lining looks sweet.

Sangerboy
    Originally posted by RaysonKid
    Not to long ago.
    Somebody posted something about how they gave their floor a carbon fiber look.
    That would be me, although I don't have any pics, cuz the boat hasn't been home since the inside was redone. Sangster did an excellent job for me. Originally the plan was just to redo the inside with new glass and carbon fiber just the keel. But after getting into it. Sangster found that although the wood floor and stringers were in great shape, they had been stained because of cracks in the glass that were deep enough to let a little water/oil mixture come in contact with the wood. At that point we decided to carbon fiber the entire inside. It looks great and I'll post some pictures when it's back from Billy's shop.

DansBlown73Nordic
    To correct anyones thoughts. Im not covering up any delamination. I don't think the outside area of this boat was ever a nice clean glass section. It has matting that is painted black. Maybe I should try to take some pictures of it.

That rhinolined looks pretty good!

HavasuDreamin'
    The other problem with carpet is that it will eventually (sooner than you think) get beat down and look bad. Then you have to pull it up and replace. You all know what that calls for, scraping glue. :yuk:
    I say do anything but carpet.

superdave013
    CARPET WILL GET TO BE AN OILY MESS IN SHORT ORDER IF YOU ASK ME

coolchange
    I 've seen carpet on the floor of a flat that looked good but dont do over the stringers. Seems there is always a little oil in the water in flat and that will break down the adhesive. I had a flat that I gel coated the floor Fawn beige and most people didnt even notice because it looked like a light wood.

miller19j
    Why do almost all Flatty owners not use carpet and almost all Jet owners do?
    Basically they are the same size boats and have the same freeboard. So they probably take on about the same amount of water. Most Flattys run faster and have a rougher ride so I guess it would be more common for them to have stress cracks in the floor. Is this the reason?
    I’m not trying to stir the Jet/V Drive pot I am honestly curious?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast